“Life is a mixture of light and shadow, calm and storm, and it’s all good.” – Susan W. Krebs
Darkness is often associated with fear, uncertainty, and the unknown. As someone who has experienced my fair share of darkness, both literally and metaphorically, I understand the power it can hold over us. Explore a collection of thought-provoking darkness quotes that navigate the complexities of life’s darker moments.
When I was younger, I used to be afraid of the dark. I would sleep with a night light on and would never venture into a dark room by myself.
As I grew older, I realized that my fear of the dark was not just about the absence of light, but also about the fear of the unknown. The darkness represented all that was unfamiliar and unpredictable.
Metaphorically speaking, darkness can take on many forms. It can represent the hardships and challenges we face in life, the unknown future, or even our own internal struggles.
These are the moments that test our strength and resilience, and push us to our limits.
However, as I have come to learn, darkness can also be a source of growth and transformation.
It is often in our darkest moments that we are forced to confront our fears and weaknesses, and emerge stronger on the other side.
These moments can be the catalyst for change and transformation in our lives.
Furthermore, darkness can also provide us with perspective and insight. It can teach us to appreciate the light and the good in our lives, and to not take them for granted.
It can also help us to cultivate empathy and understanding for others who are going through their own struggles and hardships.
In order to navigate through darkness, I have found that it is important to have a strong support system in place. This can include family, friends, therapists, or anyone who can offer a listening ear or a helping hand.
It is also important to have a sense of purpose and meaning in our lives, as this can provide us with the motivation and strength to persevere through difficult times.
Ultimately, darkness is a natural and necessary part of life. While it can be scary and uncomfortable, it can also offer us the opportunity for growth, transformation, and reflection.
By embracing the darkness and facing our fears head on, we can emerge stronger and more resilient than ever before.
Deep & Motivational Darkness Quotes
1. “A work will only have deep resonance if the kind of darkness I can generate is something that is resident in me already.” — Anish Kapoor
2. “There was a darkness, a melancholy, that people had trouble accepting. Maybe now, it would work better.” — Alain Resnais
3. “A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, ‘darkness’ on the walls of his cell.” — C. S. Lewis
4. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
5. “There is nothing in the dark that isn’t there when the lights are on.” — Rod Serling
6. “A poet is a nightingale, who sits in darkness and sings to cheer its own solitude with sweet sounds.” — Percy Bysshe Shelley
7. “Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
8. “When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light – whatever that is for you – no matter how far away it seems.” — Jan Berry
9. “It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.” — Aristotle Onassis
10. “People are like stained – glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.” — Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
RELATED: 56 Bible Quotes To Boost Your Confidence & Improve Your Self-Esteem
11. “Life is one long struggle in the dark.” — Lucretius
12. “What other dungeon is so dark as one’s own heart! What jailer so inexorable as one’s self!” — Nathaniel Hawthorne
13. “Go with your fate, but not beyond. Beyond leads to dark places.” — Mary Renault
Darkness & Light Quotes To Appreciate
14. “The dark and the light, they exist side by side. Sometimes overlapping, one explaining the other. The darkened path is as illuminated as the lightened…” – Raven Davies
15. “You can’t discover light, by analyzing the dark.” – Wayne Dyer
16. “The darkness around us might somewhat light up if we would first practice using the light we have in the place we are.” – Henry S. Haskins
17. “What makes night within us may leave stars.” – Victor Hugo
18. “Peace and negativity cannot coexist just as light and darkness cannot coexist.” – N. Goenka
19. “Life isn’t just about darkness or light, rather it’s about finding light within the darkness.” – Landon Parham
20. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
21. “Every moment of light and dark is a miracle.” – Walt Whitman
22. “Don’t fight darkness—bring the light, and darkness will disappear.” – Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
23. “Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.” – Anne Frank
24. “In the midst of darkness, light persists.” – Mahatma Gandhi
25. “A visionary is one who can find his way by moonlight and see the dawn before the rest of the world.” – Oscar Wilde
26. “However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” – Stanley Kubrick
27. “Why not dare yourself to become a shining positive light where darkness is the only thing known?” – Edmond Mbiaka
28. “Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light.” – Madeline L’Engle
29. “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars.” – Richard Evans
30. “Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.” – Rabindranath Tagore
31. “Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” – Victor Hugo
32. “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.” – Desmond Tutu
33. “Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself.” – Desiderius Erasmus
34. “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” – Plato
35. “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.” – Og Mandino
Darkness Quotes To Inspire You Towards Light
36. “In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don’t let your eyes deceive you.” — Janet Jackson
37. “If no pain, then no love. If no darkness, no light. If no risk, then no reward. It’s all or nothing. In this damn world, it’s all or nothing.” — Glennon Doyle Melton
38. “Rain symbolizes darkness but also represents an essential part of rebirth.” — Sabrina Claudio
RELATED: 110 Powerful Quotes To Heal Trauma
39. “Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.” — Mark Twain
40. “When you spend so long trapped in darkness, you find that the darkness begins to stare back.” — Sarah J. Maas
41. “A man must dream a long time in order to act with grandeur, and dreaming is nursed in darkness.” — Jean Genet
42. “In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.” — Francis Bacon
43. “Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.” — Anne Frank
44. “There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.” — Bram Stoker
45. “What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle.” — Rumi
46. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
47. “I am a forest, and a night of dark trees: but he who is not afraid of my darkness, will find banks full of roses under my cypresses.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
48. “People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own souls. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.” — Carl Jung
49. “Darkness comes. In the middle of it, the future looks blank. The temptation to quit is huge. Don’t. You are in good company… You will argue with yourself that there is no way forward. But with God, nothing is impossible. He has more ropes and ladders and tunnels out of pits than you can conceive. Wait. Pray without ceasing. Hope.” — John Piper
50. “Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift.” — Mary Oliver
51. “Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.” — Carl Jung
52. “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars.” — Og Mandino
53. “Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.” — Yousuf Karsh
54. “Into the darkness they go, the wise and the lovely.” — Edna St. Vincent Millay
55. “To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts – such is the duty of the artist.” —Robert Schumann
56. “Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.” — Edgar Allan Poe
57. “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.” — Desmond Tutu
58. “You need to spend time crawling alone through shadows to truly appreciate what it is to stand in the sun.” — Shaun Hick
Light In The Art Darkness Quotes
59. “Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual’s conscious life, the blacker and denser it is.” – Carl Jung
60. “My writing is intentionally dark so that people can feel less alone in their own darkness.” – Cole Schafer
RELATED: 302 Inspiring Daily Habit Quotes To Build A Better Life
61. “One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.” – Carl Jung
62. “For it’s always that way with the sacred value of life. We forget it as long as it belongs to us, and give it as little attention during the unconcerned hours of our life as we do the stars in the light of day. Darkness must fall before we are aware of the majesty of the stars above our heads.” – Stefan Zweig
63. “as it works for the individual, it also works for the collective of humanity—we can’t heal what is ignored, nor can we live happily and freely if we continue running away from our own darkness.” – Yung Pueblo
64. “Who is more foolish, the child afraid of the dark or the man afraid of the Light?” – Maurice Freehill
65. “Part X is the judgmental part of you, the antisocial part of you. It’s an invisible… force that wants to keep you from changing or growing. It wants to block your evolution. It wants to block your potential. Part X is the voice of impossibility. Whatever it is you think you need to do, it’s gonna tell you that’s impossible.” – Phil Stutz
66. “They say there’s always light at the end of the tunnel, but not once your eyes adjust to the darkness.” ~ David Goggins
67. “Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.” – Maori proverb
68. “You do not have to sit outside in the dark. If, however, you want to look at the stars, you will find that darkness is necessary. But the stars neither require nor demand it.” – Annie Dillard
69. “When life gets scary and difficult, we tend to look for solutions in places where it is easy or at least familiar to do so, and not in the dark, uncomfortable places where real solutions might lie.” – Robert Maurer
70. “There is a time for expanding and a time for contraction; one provokes the other and the other calls for the return of the first… Never are we nearer the Light than when darkness is deepest.” – Swami Vivekananda
71. “To the shadow, the light is an enemy. But to the light, the shadow is nothing. It simply does not exist.” – Marianne Williamson
72. “Darkness cannot put out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
73. “Love is love and nothing in between.” – Goo Goo Dolls
74. “People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.” – Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
75. “Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself.” – Desiderius Erasmus
76. “You forget that, in the dark, we must move closer together in order to see each other. You were never alone.” ~ Iain Thomas
RELATED: 361 Uplifting Quotes To Start The New Week On A Positive Note
77. “It feels much better to contribute to spreading love, than to contribute to destroying hate. Because ultimately, hate only exists from a lack of love. Darkness only exists from the absence of light.” – Apollo Poetry
Wise Saying About Darkness Quotes
78. “It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
79. “Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.” – Stephen King
80. “Adventure is just hardship with an inflated sense of self.” – Jenji Kohan
81. “Our membership has its pleasure, its hardship, and sometimes its pain.” – John Pogue
82. “In the Darkness, who would answer for the color of a rose, Or the vestments of the May moth and the pilgrimage it goes?” – Nathalia Crane
83. “I have learned things in the dark that I could never have learned in the light, things that have saved my life over and over again, so that there is really only one logical conclusion. I need darkness as much as I need light.” – Barbara Brown Taylor
84. “I became a marine for the hardship, to be hammered on the anvil of life. I told myself I can pass any test a man can pass.” – James Cameron
85. “Only after he found the strength to turn away from the darkness, even though that meant turning away from his father.” – Jerry Siegel
RELATED: 180 Beautiful Kindness Quotes To Bring Happiness To You And Help You Spread It To Others
86. “A stranger’s soul is like a dark forest.” – Russian Proverb
87. “Darkness is to space what silence is to sound; i.e., the interval.” – Marshall McLuhan
88. “Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.” – Carl Jung
89. “Fear grows in darkness; if you think there’s a bogeyman around, turn on the light.” – Dorothy Thompson
90. “Truly, it is in the darkness that one finds the light, so when we are in sorrow, then this light is nearest of all to us”. – Meister Eckhart
91. “You must bear your privations and hardships bravely.” – Charles Beaumont
92. “When darkness falls, beauty is lit from within.” – Johnathan Jena
93. “Darkness of slumber and death, forever sinking and sinking.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
RELATED: 225 Encouraging Darkness Light Quotes To Help You Find Your Way
94. “Only in the darkness can you see the stars.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
95. “There is no such thing as darkness; only a failure to see.” – Malcolm Muggeridge
96. “I’ll make that darkness show me the way.” – Daisuke Watanabe
97. “You don’t see it. The darkness is the past. And you hold onto it. You dwell. You punish yourself and everyone around you for past mistakes.” – Jerry Siegel
98. “The depth of darkness to which you can descend and still live is an exact measure of the height to which you can aspire to reach.” – Author Unknown
99. “If I must die, I will encounter darkness as a bride, And hug it in mine arms.” – William Shakespeare
100. “My darkness has been filled with the light of intelligence, and behold, the outer day-lit world was stumbling and groping in social blindness.” – Hellen Keller
101. “Darkness approaches from outside. I feel no light inside me strong enough to resist it.” – Christopher Pike
102. “Darkness and night are mothers of thought.” – Dutch Proverb
103. “I said to my soul, be still, and wait…So the darkness shall be the light, and the stillness the dancing.” – T.S. Eliot
104. “Forsake the darkness you once embraced, or the light will find no hold. Vanquish the dark knight! You and he are one no more!” – Yuri Lowenthal
105. “Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.” – Edgar Allan Poe
106. “Dark, dark! The horror of darkness, like a shroud, wraps me and bears me on through mist and cloud.” – Sophocles
107. “What is light without dark?” – William Hjortsberg
108. “Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift.” – Mary Oliver
109. “It was the possibility of darkness that made the day seem so bright.” – Stephen King
110. “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering” – Yoda
111. “From the world of darkness I did loose demons and devils in the power of scorpions to torment.” – Charles Manson
RELATED: 361 Uplifting Quotes To Start The New Week On A Positive Note
112. “Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.” – Anne Frank
113. “In darkness one may be ashamed of what one does, without the shame of disgrace” – Sophocles
114. “I need to figure out a way to lift the darkness and break whatever’s binding these people to that planet.” – Jerry Siegel
115. “You can’t study the darkness by flooding it with light.” – Edward Abbey
116. “There isn’t enough darkness in all the world to snuff out the light of one little candle.” – Robert Alden
Motivational Darkness Quotes To Light Up Things
117. “Flowers grow out of dark moments.” — Corita Kent
118. “Still falls the rain – dark as the world of man, black as our loss – blind as the nineteen hundred and forty nails upon the Cross.” — Edith Sitwell
119. “Help us to be ever faithful gardeners of the spirit, who know that without darkness nothing comes to birth, and without light nothing flowers.” — May Sarton
RELATED: 302 Inspiring Daily Habit Quotes To Build A Better Life
120. “It is a dark, dark world. If you’re going to be in a dark world, I can’t think of any better one to be in. I still think I’m very lucky to be in it.” — James Gandolfini
121. “The three great problems of this century; the degradation of man in the proletariat, the subjection of women through hunger, the atrophy of the child by darkness.” — Victor Hugo
122. “Even in the darkest regions, people have discovered their right of freedom.” — Javier Bardem
123. “Color is born of the interpenetration of light and dark.” — Sam Francis
124. “Character is what a man is in the dark.” — Dwight L. Moody
125. “Darkness is to space what silence is to sound, i.e., the interval.” — Marshall McLuhan
126. “Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you.” — John Ruskin
127. “I don’t believe there’s any inherent darkness at the center of religion at all. I think religion actually is a morally neutral force.” — Ian McEwan
128. “The rising sun can dispel the darkness of night, but it cannot banish the blackness of malice, hatred, bigotry, and selfishness from the hearts of humanity.” — David O. McKay
129. “Find beauty not only in the thing itself but in the pattern of the shadows, the light and dark which that thing provides.” — Junichiro Tanizaki
130. “The dark shadow we seem to see in the distance is not really a mountain ahead, but the shadow of the mountain behind – a shadow from the past thrown forward into our future. It is a dark sludge of historical sectarianism. We can leave it behind us if we wish.” — David Trimble
131. “So in the dark we hide the heart that bleeds, And wait, and tend our agonizing seeds.” — Countee Cullen
132. “Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.” — Erica Jong
133. “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.” — Desmond Tutu
134. “True friendship can afford true knowledge. It does not depend on darkness and ignorance.” — Henry David Thoreau
135. “The joys we expect are not so bright, nor the troubles so dark as we fancy they will be.” — Charles Reade
136. “In the time of darkest defeat, victory may be nearest.” — William McKinley
137. “You can’t study the darkness by flooding it with light.” — Edward Abbey
138. “A few vices are sufficient to darken many virtues.” — Plutarch
139. “The future is hidden by a dark impenetrable veil, and yet we struggle to pierce through it.” — Joseph Barber Lightfoot
Important Reminders About Light And Darkness Quotes
140. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
141. “When you light a candle, you also cast a shadow.” – Ursula K. Le Guin
RELATED: 225 Encouraging Darkness Light Quotes To Help You Find Your Way
142. “Life is a mixture of light and shadow, calm and storm, and it’s all good.” – Susan W. Krebs
143. “But it is the same with man as with the tree. The more he seeks to rise into the height and light, the more vigorously do his roots struggle earthward, downward, into the dark, the deep – into evil.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
144. “Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.” – Anne Frank
145. “People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own souls. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.” – Carl Jung
146. “When you get to the end of all the light you know and it’s time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: either you will be given something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly.” – Edward Teller
147. “Life is composed of lights and shadows, and we would be untruthful, insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows.” – Walt Disney
148. “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” – Plato
149. “Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.” – Brene Brown
150. “In light there is dark, and in dark there is light.” – Kami Garcia
151. “Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.” – John Milton
152. “The eye is always caught by light, but shadows have more to say.” – Gregory Maguire
153. “Being desirable means being comfortable with your own ambiguity. The most ambiguous reality is that we are flesh and spirit at the same time. Within everyone there is light and shadow, good and evil, love and hate. In order to be truthful, you must embrace your total being. A person who exhibits both positive and negative qualities, strengths and weaknesses is not flawed, but complete.” – Rumi
154. “Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark. Begin at the beginning. Tell Gregory a story. Make some light.” – Kate DiCamillo
What Are Quotes And How Can They Help Us To Improve Our Life?
I believe that quotes are powerful tools that can help us to improve our lives. They are concise, impactful statements that distill complex ideas and emotions into a few words.
Quotes can provide us with inspiration, motivation, and perspective, and can help us to see things in a new light.
Reading and reflecting on quotes can also help us to develop a more positive mindset and cultivate gratitude, empathy, and self-awareness.
They can serve as reminders of our values and aspirations, and can help us to stay focused on what is truly important in our lives.
Furthermore, quotes can also connect us with others who have experienced similar struggles and triumphs.
They can offer a sense of community and solidarity, and remind us that we are not alone in our journey.
What Are Darkness Quotes And How Can They Help Us To Make Positive Change In Our Life?
In my experience, darkness quotes are powerful statements that encourage us to confront and overcome our fears, doubts, and struggles.
They can offer us the motivation and inspiration we need to push through difficult times and emerge stronger on the other side.
Darkness quotes can help us to embrace the darkness and find the light within it. They remind us that even in the midst of our darkest moments, there is hope and possibility for positive change.
They can provide us with a sense of perspective and insight, helping us to see our struggles in a new light.
For me, darkness quotes have been a source of comfort and guidance during challenging times.
They have helped me to cultivate a more positive mindset, find meaning and purpose in my struggles, and stay focused on my goals and aspirations.
I believe that incorporating darkness quotes into our daily lives can help us to make positive changes and transform ourselves for the better.
Next Steps – How To Incorporate Darkness Quotes Into Your Life
If you are looking to incorporate darkness quotes into your life, here are a few strategies that have worked well for me:
- Create a collection: Start by collecting your favorite darkness quotes in a journal, on your phone, or on a Pinterest board. You can refer to this collection whenever you need a dose of inspiration or motivation.
- Read them daily: Make a habit of reading a few darkness quotes each day. This can be part of your morning routine or something you do before bed. The goal is to infuse your day with positivity and motivation.
- Use them as mantras: Pick a few of your favorite darkness quotes and use them as mantras throughout the day. Repeat them to yourself when you need a boost of confidence or encouragement.
- Share them with others: Share your favorite darkness quotes with friends and family. You never know who might need a little extra inspiration or motivation in their lives.
- Reflect on them: Take the time to reflect on what each darkness quote means to you and how it applies to your life. Write down your thoughts and insights in a journal or notebook.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about darkness quotes and my personal answers to them:
What are darkness quotes?
Darkness quotes are powerful statements that encourage us to confront and overcome our fears, doubts, and struggles.
They can provide us with inspiration, motivation, and perspective, and can help us to see things in a new light.
How can darkness quotes help me?
Reading and reflecting on darkness quotes can help you to develop a more positive mindset and cultivate gratitude, empathy, and self-awareness.
They can serve as reminders of your values and aspirations, and can help you to stay focused on what is truly important in your life.
How do I incorporate darkness quotes into my life?
You can incorporate darkness quotes into your life by reading them daily, using them as mantras, sharing them with others, and reflecting on them.
The goal is to infuse your day with positivity and motivation.
Continue Reading 👉 : 167 Thoughtful Relationship Silence Quotes To Help You Realize Its Power
- 718 Negative Words That Begin With The Letter “R” - June 2, 2023
- 361 Negative Words That Begin With The Letter “Q” - June 1, 2023
- 620 Negative Words That Begin With The Letter “P” - May 31, 2023