Last Updated on August 16, 2023
“Perhaps You Have Never Thought About It, But On One Level Or Another, All Of Us Are Masters. We Are Masters Because We Have The Power To Create And To Rule Our Own Lives.” – Don Miguel Ruiz
Don Miguel Ruiz is a spiritual teacher and author who has made a significant impact on the self-help and personal growth industries. Don Miguel Ruiz quotes are also famous around the world with perfect thought provoking ideas!
Born in Mexico in 1952, Ruiz has spent most of his life studying and teaching the ancient wisdom of the Toltec people.
He is best known for his book “The Four Agreements,” which has sold millions of copies worldwide and has been translated into 46 languages.
Ruiz’s teachings are rooted in the belief that we are all capable of creating our own reality through the power of our thoughts and beliefs.
He argues that many of the beliefs and assumptions we hold about ourselves and the world around us are based on false information and societal conditioning, and that by breaking free from these limiting beliefs, we can achieve true happiness and fulfillment.
One of the central tenets of Ruiz’s philosophy is the concept of the “domestication” of the human mind.
According to Ruiz, we are all born as free and creative beings, but from a young age, we are taught to conform to the expectations of society and our families. This process of domestication creates a false sense of self, based on the beliefs and opinions of others, rather than our own true nature.
To overcome this domestication, Ruiz encourages his readers to practice the Four Agreements, which he outlines in his book of the same name. These agreements are:
- Be impeccable with your word.
- Don’t take anything personally.
- Don’t make assumptions.
- Always do your best.
By following these agreements, Ruiz believes that we can break free from our domestication and live a life of true authenticity and freedom. The first agreement, for example, encourages us to speak truthfully and use our words to uplift and inspire others, rather than to gossip or spread negativity.
The second agreement reminds us that other people’s actions and opinions are not about us, and that we should not take them personally. The third agreement urges us to ask questions and seek understanding, rather than making assumptions based on incomplete information.
Finally, the fourth agreement encourages us to always do our best, but to also be gentle with ourselves and avoid the trap of perfectionism.
Ruiz’s teachings have resonated with millions of people around the world, and he has become a highly respected figure in the spiritual and personal growth communities. In addition to “The Four Agreements,” he has written several other books, including “The Mastery of Love,” “The Voice of Knowledge,” and “The Fifth Agreement.”
He also regularly speaks at conferences and events around the world, sharing his message of empowerment and self-realization.
Don Miguel Ruiz is a spiritual teacher and author who has made a significant impact on the world of personal growth and self-help.
His teachings are rooted in the belief that we all have the power to create our own reality, and that by breaking free from societal conditioning and limiting beliefs, we can achieve true happiness and fulfillment.
Through his books, talks, and workshops, Ruiz has inspired millions of people to live a life of authenticity, purpose, and freedom.
Quotes By Don Miguel Ruiz
Empowering Quotes From The Mastery Of Love
1. “When you make it your goal to create the perfect relationship between you and your body, you are learning to have a perfect relationship with anyone you are with, including your mother, your friends, your lover, your children, your dog. When you have the perfect relationship between you and your body, in that moment your half of any relationship outside you is completely fulfilled. You no longer depend upon the success of a relationship from the outside.”
2. “Perhaps you have never thought about it, but on one level or another, all of us are masters. We are masters because we have the power to create and to rule our own lives.”
3. “Use your imagination to explore new possibilities.”
4. “It’s not true that you go to hell or to heaven after you die. You live in hell or you live in heaven, but now. Heaven and hell only exist in the level of the mind.”
5. “To master a relationship is all about you. The first step is to become aware, to know that everyone dreams his own dream. Once you know this, you can be responsible for your half of the relationship, which is you. If you know that you are only responsible for half of the relationship, you can easily control your half. It is not up to us to control the other half. If we respect, we know that our partner, or friend, or son, or mother, is completely responsible for his or her own half. If we respect the other half, there is always going to be peace in that relationship. There is no war.”
6. “The happiest moments in our lives are when we are playing just like children, when we are singing and dancing, when we are exploring and creating just for fun. It is wonderful when we behave like a child because this is the normal human mind, the normal human tendency. As children, we are innocent and it is natural for us to express love. But what has happened to us? What has happened to the whole world?”
7. “There are millions of ways to express your happiness, but there is only one way to really be happy, and that is to love. There is no other way. You cannot be happy if you don’t love yourself. That is a fact. If you don’t love yourself, you don’t have any opportunity to be happy. You cannot share what you do not have.”
8. “Explore the possibilities. Be yourself. Find a person who matches with you. Take the risk, but be honest. If it works, keep going. If it doesn’t work, then do yourself and your partner a favor: Walk away; let her go. Don’t be selfish. Give your partner the opportunity to find what she really wants, and at the same time give yourself the opportunity. If it’s not going to work, it is better to look in a different direction. If you cannot love your partner the way she is, someone else can love her just as she is. Don’t waste your time, and don’t waste your partner’s time. That is respect.”
9. “You have the power to create. Your power is so strong that whatever you believe comes true. You create yourself, whatever you believe you are. You are the way you are because that is what you believe about yourself. Your whole reality, everything you believe, is your creation.”
10. “When you have all that love for yourself, you can be alone and there’s no problem. You are happy to be alone.”
11. “You are what you believe you are. There is nothing to do except to be just what you are. You have the right to feel beautiful and enjoy it. You can honor your body and accept it as it is. You don’t need anyone to love you. Love comes from the inside. It lives inside us and is always there, but with that wall of fog, we don’t feel it. You can only perceive the beauty that lives outside you when you feel the beauty that lives inside you.”
12. “You don’t have to believe me, but think, and make choices. Believe what you want to believe according to what I say, but only if it makes sense for you, if it makes you happy. If it guides you into your awakening, then make the choice to believe it. I am responsible for what I say, but I am not responsible for what you understand. We live in a completely different dream. What I say, even if it is absolutely true for me, is not necessarily true for you.”
Quotes From Four Agreements
13. “If others tell us something we make assumptions, and if they don’t tell us something we make assumptions to fulfill our need to know and to replace the need to communicate.”
14. “The best way to say, “I love you, God,” is to live your life doing your best.”
15. “Be impeccable with your word. Don’t take anything personally. Don’t make assumptions. Always do your best.”
16. “You have to trust yourself and choose to believe or not to believe what someone says to you.”
17. “The best way to say, “Thank you, God,” is by letting go of the past and living in the present moment, right here and now.”
18. “But it is not what I am saying that is hurting you; it is that you have wounds that I touch by what I have said. You are hurting yourself. There is no way I can take this personally.”
19. “I will no longer allow anyone to manipulate my mind and control my life in the name of love.”
20. “Wherever you go you will find people lying to you, and as your awareness grows, you will notice that you also lie to yourself.”
21. “Whatever life takes away from you, let it go.”
22. “When you surrender and let go of the past, you allow yourself to be fully alive in the moment.”
23. “Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama.”
24. “Whatever happens around you, don’t take it personally… Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves.”
25. “Even if we hear something and we don’t understand we make assumptions about what it means and then believe the assumptions. We make all sorts of assumptions because we don’t have the courage to ask questions.”
26. “Do not expect people to tell you the truth because they also lie to themselves.”
27. “It is when we lose control that we repress the emotions, not when we are in control.”
28. “If you live in a past dream, you don’t enjoy what is happening right now because you will always wish it to be different than it is.”
29. “Not enjoying what is happening right now is living in the past and being only half alive.”
30. “Letting go of the past means you can enjoy the dream that is happening right now.”
31. “There is no time to miss anyone or anything because you are alive.”
32. “Every human is an artist. The dream of your life is to make beautiful art.”
33. “There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally.”
Most Inspiring Quotes
34. “The first step toward personal freedom is awareness. We need to be aware that we are not free in order to be free. We need to be aware of what the problem is in order to solve the problem.
35. “You have the power to create. Your power is so strong that whatever you believe comes true. You create yourself, whatever you believe you are. Your whole reality, everything you believe, is your creation.“
36. “Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.”
37. “To become masters of love, we have to practice love. The art of relationship is also a whole mastery, and the only way to reach mastery is with practice.”
38. “The warrior has awareness…we are aware that we are at war , and the war in our minds requires discipline. Not the discipline of a soldier but the discipline of a warrior. Not the discipline from the outside to tell us what to do and not to do, but the discipline to be ourselves, no matter what.”
39. “What makes you happy is love coming out of you. And if you are generous with your love, everyone is going to love you. You are never going to be alone if you are generous.”
40. “You are alive, and you don’t need to justify your existence. You can be the biggest mystery in your own story.”
41. “We make all those promises that we cannot keep, and we set ourselves up to fail.”
42. “Humans are born with awareness; we are born to perceive the truth, but we accumulate knowledge, and we learn to deny what we perceive. We practice not being aware, and we master not being aware.”
43. “Transformation is the result of big shifts in perceptions and responses.”
44. “People are starving for love, not knowing their heart is a magical kitchen. Open your heart. Open your magical kitchen and refuse to walk around the world begging for love. In your heart is all the love you need. Your heart can create any amount of love, not just for yourself, but for the whole world.”
45. “Beginning today and gradually over time, help us to increase the power of our love so that we may create a masterpiece of art – our own life.”
46. “There is no way you can be responsible for what’s inside another person’s head.”
47. “Taking things personally makes you easy prey for these predators, the black magicians. They can hook you easily with one little opinion and feed you whatever poison they want, and because you take it personally, you eat it up. You eat all their emotional garbage, and now it becomes your garbage. But if you do not take it personally, you are immune in the middle of hell. Immunity to poison in the middle of hell is the gift of this agreement.”
48. “We search for love outside ourselves when love is all around us. Love is everywhere, but we don’t have the eyes to see.”
49. “Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.”
50. “You are complete. When love is coming out of you, you are not searching to love because you are afraid to be alone. When you have all that love for yourself, you can be alone and there’s no problem. You are happy to be alone, and to share is also fun.”
51. “Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.”
52. “In the track of fear we have so many conditions, expectations, and obligations that we create a lot of rules just to protect ourselves against emotional pain, when the truth is that there shouldn’t be any rules. These rules affect the quality of the channels of communication between us, because when we are afraid, we lie. If you have the expectation that I have to be a certain way, then I feel the obligation to be that way. The truth is I am bot what you want me to be. When I am honest and I am what I am, you are already hurt, you are mad. Then I lie to you, because I’m afraid of your judgment. I am afraid you are going to blame me, find me guilty, and punish me.”
53. “Death is not the biggest fear we have; our biggest fear is taking the risk to be alive – the risk to be alive and express what we really are.”
54. “A relationship is an event; two individuals meet and catch each other’s attention. Like any event, the length and the quality of it depends on the quality of attention from both sides. A romantic relationship, like any other, can survive indefinitely. Respect is the key. Driven by old habits and emotional dramas, a union will fail, becoming an insatiable monster that eats love and turns it into a thousand investments and fears.”
55. “If you live in a past dream, you don’t enjoy what is happening right now because you will always wish it to be different than it is. There is no time to miss anyone or anything because you are alive. Not enjoying what is happening right now is living in the past and being only half alive. This leads to self pity, suffering and tears.”
56. “Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama.”
57. “Whatever life takes away from you, let it go.”
58. “In order to protect our emotional wounds, and because of our fear of being hurt, humans create something very sophisticated in the mind: a big denial system. In that denial system we become the perfect liars. We lie so perfectly that we lie to ourselves and we even believe our own lies. We don’t notice we are lying, and sometimes even when we know we are lying, we justify the lie and excuse the lie to protect ourselves from the pain of our wounds. The denial system is like a wall of fog in front of our eyes that blinds us from seeing the truth. We wear a social mask because it’s too painful to see ourselves or to let others see us as we really are. And the denial system lets us pretend that everyone believes what we want them to believe about us. We put up these barriers for protection, to keep other people away.”
59. “We are the same, you and I. We are images of light.”
60. “Love swept theory aside and shamelessly broke the rules.”
61. “Humans hunt for love. We feel that we need that love because we believe we don’t have love, because we don’t love ourselves. We hunt for love in other humans just like us, expecting to get love from them when these humans are in the same condition as we are. They don’t love themselves either, so how much love can we get from them? We merely create a bigger need that isn’t real; we keep hunting and hunting, but in the wrong place, because other humans don’t have the love we need.”
62. “Only by making an inventory of our agreements will we uncover all of the conflicts in the mind and eventually make order out of the chaos of the mitote.”
63. “If the mind can hear itself, it can make changes. Self-judgment may be among its favorite foods, but that appetite has to be recognized before it can be modified. The moment the mind identifies itself as a predator, it has committed to becoming an ally. The mind can create chronic problems for the human, but it can offer miraculous solutions as well. It has the ability to imagine. We routinely imagine conversations that haven’t happened. We imagine alternate realities and phenomena yet to be discovered. We reimagine the past and fantasize about the future. We imagine gods and demons. We imagine horrors and wonders.”
64. “Great spiritual warriors look deep into the psychic chasm and, confronting their worst fears, find renewed awareness and ultimate peace.”
65. “You express your own divinity by being alive and by loving yourself and others.”
66. “If you can see yourself as an artist, and you can see that your life is your own creation, then why not create the most beautiful story for yourself?”
67. “I no longer agree to treat myself with disrespect. Every time a self-critical thought comes to mind, I will forgive the Judge and follow this comment with words of praise, self-acceptance, and love.”
68. “It doesn’t matter how much you love someone, you are never going to be what that person wants you to be.”
69. “True justice is paying only once for each mistake. True injustice is paying more than once for each mistake.”
70. “An attachment is the action of taking something that is not a part of you and making it a part of you through an emotional or energetic investment.”
71. “When you truly understand, you are likely to see what is true about others, and not just what you want to see.”
72. “Selfishness, control, and fear will break almost any relationship. Generosity, freedom, and love will create the most beautiful relationship: an ongoing romance.”
73. “Happiness never comes from outside of us. He was happy because of the love coming out of him; she was happy because of the love coming out of her. But as soon as he made her responsible for his happiness, she broke the star because she could not be responsible for his happiness.”
74. “Unconditional love allows you to disagree with the choices or beliefs of others while still respecting their right to have them.”
75. “It is always better to ask questions than to make an assumption, because assumptions set us up for suffering.”
76. “You are never responsible for the actions of others; you are only responsible for you. When you truly understand this, and refuse to take things personally, you can hardly be hurt by the careless comments or actions of others.”
77. “You don’t need to justify your love, you don’t need to explain your love; you just need to practice your love. Practice creates the master.”
78. “All your life you tried to be good enough for somebody else, and you left yourself last. You sacrificed your personal freedom to live according to somebody else’s point of view.”
79. “Real love is accepting other people the way they are without trying to change them.”
80. “The manifestation of the disease of fear is anger, hate, sadness, envy, and hypocrisy; the result of the disease is all the emotions that make humans suffer.”
81. “The real mission you have in life is to make yourself happy, and in order to be happy, you have to look at what you believe, the way you judge yourself, the way you victimize yourself.”
82. “And what is the right woman, the right man? Someone who wants to go in the same direction as you do, someone who is compatible with your views and your values — emotionally, physically, economically, spiritually.”
83. “If you are aware that no one else can make you happy, and that happiness is the result of love coming out of you, this becomes the greatest mastery of the Toltecs, the Mastery of Love.”
84. “In your whole life nobody has ever abused you more than you have abused yourself. And the limit of your self-abuse is exactly the limit that you will tolerate from someone else. If someone abuses you a little more than you abuse yourself, you will probably walk away from that person. But if someone abuses you a little less than you abuse yourself, you will probably stay in the relationship and tolerate it endlessly.”
85. “There’s a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally.”
86. “A sin is anything that you do which goes against yourself. Everything you feel or believe or say that goes against yourself is a sin. You go against yourself when you judge or blame yourself for anything. Being without sin is exactly the opposite. Being impeccable is not going against yourself. When you are impeccable, you take responsibility for your actions, but you do not judge or blame yourself.”
87. “Personal importance, or taking things personally, is the maximum expression of selfishness because we make the assumption that everything is about ‘me.”
88. “Whatever people think of you is really about the image they have of you, and that image isn’t you.”
89. “You must forgive those who hurt you, even if whatever they did to you is unforgivable in your mind. You will forgive them not because they deserve to be forgiven, but because you don’t want to suffer and hurt yourself every time you remember what they did to you. It doesn’t matter what others did to you, you are going to forgive them because you don’t want to feel sick all the time. Forgiveness is for your own mental healing. You will forgive because you feel compassion for yourself. Forgiveness is an act of self-love.”
90. “The truth leads to self-mastery, to a life that’s very easy; our distortion of the truth often leads to needless conflict and human suffering. Awareness makes all the difference.”
91. “You can have many great ideas in your head, but what makes the difference is the action. Without action upon an idea, there will be no manifestation, no results, and no reward.”
92. “Life brings to you exactly what you need. There is perfect justice in hell. There is nothing to blame. We can even say that our suffering is a gift. If you just open your eyes and see what is around you, it’s exactly what you need to clean your poison, to heal your wounds, to accept yourself, and to get out of hell.”
93. “Thank you, Creator of the Universe, for the gift of life you have given me. Thank you for giving me everything that I have ever truly needed. Thank you for the opportunity to experience this beautiful body and this wonderful mind. Thank you for living inside me with all your love, with your pure and boundless spirit, with your warm and radiant light. Thank you for using my words, for using my eyes, for using my heart to share your love wherever I go. I love you just the way you are, and because I am your creation, I love myself just the way I am. Help me to keep the love and the peace in my heart and to make that love a new way of life, that I may live in love the rest of my life. Amen.”
94. “If someone is not treating you with love and respect, it is a gift if they walk away from you. If that person doesn’t walk away, you will surely endure many years of suffering with him or her. Walking away may hurt for a while, but your heart will eventually heal. Then you can choose what you really want. You will find that you don’t need to trust others as much as you need to trust yourself to make the right choices.”
95. “We don’t have the right to change anyone else, and no one else has the right to change us. If we are going to change, it is because we want to change, because we don’t want to suffer any longer.”
How Can Quotes Be Helpful In Your Life
Quotes are short sayings that can pack a powerful punch and can be an incredibly helpful tool in a person’s life. Here are some ways that quotes can be beneficial:
- Inspiration: Quotes can inspire people to take action, to chase their dreams, and to push past their limits.
- Perspective: Quotes can offer a new way of looking at a situation. Quotes can provide an outside perspective that helps us reframe our situation and find new solutions.
- Comfort: In times of grief, struggle, or uncertainty, quotes can offer comfort and solace. Hearing from someone who has gone through a similar experience and come out the other side can be incredibly comforting and validating.
- Reminder: Quotes can serve as a reminder to live in the present moment, to be kind to others, or to practice self-care.
- Connection: Quotes can also provide a sense of connection to others. Hearing from someone who has shared a similar experience or felt a similar emotion can make us feel less alone in the world.
Don Miguel Ruiz’s quotes are well-known for their wisdom, simplicity, and power to inspire change. Here are some examples of how his quotes can help you make a positive change in your life:
- “Be impeccable with your word”:
This quote, from Ruiz’s book “The Four Agreements,” emphasizes the importance of speaking truthfully and with integrity. By being impeccable with your word, you can build trust and respect with others, and create a more positive and supportive environment around you.
- “Don’t take anything personally”
This quote reminds us that other people’s actions and opinions are not about us. By not taking things personally, we can avoid getting caught up in drama or negativity, and instead focus on our own goals and priorities.
- “Always do your best”
This quote encourages us to strive for excellence, but also to be gentle with ourselves and avoid the trap of perfectionism. By doing our best, we can achieve our goals and feel a sense of pride and accomplishment, without putting undue pressure on ourselves.
- “Letting go of judgment and self-criticism opens the doors to love and acceptance”
This quote highlights the importance of self-acceptance and compassion. By letting go of judgment and self-criticism, we can create a more positive and supportive inner dialogue, and cultivate a greater sense of self-love and self-worth.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It True That NFL Champion Quarterback, Tom Brady, Has Read Ruiz’s “The Four Agreements” A Number Of Times?
It is absolutely true that Tom Brady has read “The Four Agreements” a number of times. As a leader on his team, Brady has gleaned much from Ruiz’s work on building trust and creating an environment where everyone on the team can achieve their best. When this happens, the whole team benefits.
Ruiz’s work has much to offer leaders in business, sports, politics, and education. It also has much to offer people, in general, to make our personal lives more enriching and our relationships more successful.
Continue Reading : 320 Monday Blessings To Start Your Week Off Right
- Stromatolites Meanings, Healing Properties and Uses - October 7, 2023
- Green Jade Meanings, Healing Properties and Uses - October 3, 2023
- 125 Powerful Manifesting Affirmations To Achieve Your Dreams - September 21, 2023