Last Updated on August 16, 2023
As I sit here at my desk, with deadlines looming and emails piling up, I can feel the stress and pressure building up inside me. It’s moments like these when I realize the importance of self-care quotes.
It’s not just a buzzword or a trend, but rather a vital practice that allows us to take care of ourselves both physically and mentally.
And what better way to remind ourselves of the importance of self-care than through inspiring quotes?
As I started scouring through various self-care quotes, I was struck by how simple yet powerful they were.
These quotes are not just words on paper, but they hold the ability to inspire and motivate us to take care of ourselves.
They serve as a reminder that we need to prioritize our own well-being and take the time to nurture ourselves.
One of my favorite self-care quotes is by the famous author and poet Maya Angelou, who said, “I have learned that self-care is not selfish. It is healthy.”
This quote resonates with me on a personal level because, like many of us, I often struggle with feeling guilty about taking time for myself.
But Angelou’s words remind me that self-care is not something to feel guilty about, but rather a healthy and necessary practice.
Another quote that has stayed with me is by Audre Lorde, a feminist writer and activist, who said, “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.”
This quote speaks to the idea that taking care of ourselves is not just about personal health and happiness, but it can also be an act of resistance against societal norms that may not prioritize our well-being.
As I continued to explore more self-care quotes, I realized that they all had a common theme – the importance of taking care of ourselves.
Whether it’s through self-reflection, relaxation, or seeking support, self-care is a necessary practice that helps us maintain balance and manage stress in our daily lives.
So, as I sit here typing away, I’m reminded that taking a break and engaging in some self-care activities is just as important as meeting deadlines and responding to emails.
And with these self-care quotes as my guide, I know that I can prioritize my well-being and achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Amazing Inspirational Quotes On Self-Care
1. “Taking Care Of Yourself Also Means Taking Care Of Your Environment” – Unknown
2. “He Who Is Contented Is Rich” – Lao Tzu
3. “If You Do What You’ve Always Done, You’ll Always Get What You’ve Always Got” – Unknown
4. “Having A Simplified, Uncluttered Home Is A Form Of Self Care” – Emma Scheib
5. “Worry Never Robs Tomorrow Of Its Sorrow, It Only Saps Today Of Its Joy” – Leo F. Buscaglia.
6. “When We Try To Juggle Everything, We Can’t Enjoy Anything” – Courtney Carver
7. “Don’t Feel Guilty Doing What’s Best For You” – Unknown
8. “Stop Being Busy, And You’ll Get To Know Yourself. Stop Caring What They Think, And You’ll Feel Calmer. Stop Going Fast, And You’ll Find The Right Direction” – Maxime Lagacé
9. “It’s The Small Habits, How You Spend Your Morning, How You Talk To Yourself, What You Read, What You Watch, Who You Share Your Energy With, That Will Change Your Life” – Unknown
11. “True Contentment Is Not About Acquiring More, But Being Satisfied With Greater Simplicity And Fulfilled By What You Already Have” – Carley Hauck
12. “Instead Of Wondering When Your Next Vacation Is, Maybe You Should Set Up A Life You Don’t Need To Escape From” – Seth Godin
13. “We Need To Do A Better Job Of Putting Ourselves Higher On Our Own ‘To Do’ List” – Unknown
14. “Make Room For Things That Matter By Removing Everything That Doesn’t” – Brian Gardner
15. “If You Want To Fly, Give Up Everything That Weighs You Down” – Buddah
16. ” ‘No’ Is A Complete Sentence ” – Anne Lamott
17. “When Things Change Inside You, Things Change Around You” – Unknown
18. “Opening Up Your Closet Should Be Like Arriving At A Really Good Party Where Everyone You See Is Someone You Like” – Amy Collins
19. “Practice Doing What You Need To Do Even When You Don’t Want To. Get It Done First So You Don’t Have To Keep Thinking About It” – Sam Altman
20. “You Will Never Change What You Tolerate” – Joel Osteen
21. “If It Costs You Peace It’s Too Expensive” – Unknown
22. “The More We Detach From Things That Don’t Add Value To Our Lives, The Calmer, The Freer, And The Lighter We Feel” – Joshua Fields Millburn
23. “Life Is Like A Camera – You Focus On What’s Important, Capture The Good Times, Develop From The Negative, And If Things Don’t Work Out – Take Another Shot” – Unknown
24. “Happiness Is A Place Between Too Little And Too Much” – Finnish Proverb
25. “If It Doesn’t Add To Your Life, It Doesn’t Belong In Your Life” – Unknown
26. “You Will Face Many Defeats In Life, But Never Let Yourself Be Defeated” – Mary Angelou
Funny Self-Care Quotes
27. “Resting is a part of the process, even if it’s not a part of the plan.” – Carley Schweet
28. “This looks like a ‘no, thanks’ to me.” – Unknown
29. “Know your worth, and then make sure to add tax.” – Unknown
30. “I’m too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.” – Unknown
31. “Be good to your skin. You’ll wear it every day for the rest of your life.” – Renee Rouleau
32. “Do not pour your sunshine into someone who does not think of you as their sky.” – Unknown
33. “If it costs you your peace, it’s too expensive.” – Unknown
34. “Be enough for yourself first. The rest of the world can wait.” – F.W.
35. “RIP to all the hours I spent explaining myself to other people.” – Unknown
36. “A wise woman once said, “fuck this shit” and lived happily ever after.” – Unknown
37. “The hardest part of the journey is believing you are worthy of the trip.” – Glenn Beck
38. “Stop shrinking to fit places you’ve outgrown.” – Unknown
39. “Sometimes you just need to lie on the couch and read for a couple of years.” – Unknown
40. “So she set boundaries and began to rebuild her life.” – Unknown
41. “I think you’re doing a beautiful job figuring some heavy shit out.” – Unknown
42. “This is my cup of care. Oh, look, it’s empty.” – Unknown
43. “Never apologize for being a powerful fucking woman.” – Unknown
44. “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including yourself.” – Anne Lamott
45. “Be loud about the things that are important to you.” – Unknown
46. “There is a voice that doesn’t use words. Listen.” – Rumi
47. “I do a thing called ‘what I want.” – Unknown
48. “They say good things take time, so that’s why I’m always late.” – Unknown
49. “If it costs you your peace of mind, you’ve overpaid.” – Rigel J. Dawson
50. “I’m staying home today. I have mood poisoning.” – Unknown
51. “I am not an early bird or night owl; I’m some sort of permanently exhausted pigeon.” – Unknown
52. “Do no harm. Take no shit” – Unknown
53. “Talk to yourself like someone you love.” – Unknown
54. “When they say, “it runs in the family,” respond with, “this is where it runs out.” – Unknown
55. “Self-care is the greatest middle finger of all time.” – Unknown
56. “Givers need to set limits because takers rarely do.” – Irma Kurtz
57. “I didn’t forget where I came from; I just realized I couldn’t stay there.” – Unknown
58. “I think we should start calling our mistakes ‘growth spurts’ instead.” – Cheryl Hale
59. “Strong women don’t have attitudes; they have standards.” – Unknown
60. “Get in, loser; we’re healing and falling in love with ourselves again.” – Unknown
61. “Self-care is giving the world the best of you instead of what’s left of you.” – Katie Reed
62. “She will rise with a spine of steel and roar like thunder, she will rise.” – Nicole Lyons
63. “If you’re waiting for a sign, this is it.” – Unknown
64. “Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.” – Unknown
65. “Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.” – A. A Milne
66. “People who wonder if the glass is half full or half empty miss the point. The glass is refillable.” -Unknown
67. “Be messy, complicated, and afraid. And show up, anyway.” – Glennon Doyle
68. “She remembered who she was, and the game changed.” – Lalah Deliah
69. “You don’t have to set yourself on fire to keep others warm.” – Unknown
70. “Current status: distancing myself from bullshit.” – Unknown
71. “A glowing woman can help other women glow and still be lit.” – Unknown
72. “Remember, you can’t pour from an empty cup.” – Unknown
Motivational Self-Care Quotes
73. “Don’t forget to love yourself.” – Soren Kierkegaard
74. “It is so important to take time for yourself and find clarity. The most important relationship is the one you have with yourself.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
75. “Put your heart, mind, and soul into even your smallest acts. This is the secret of success.” – Swami Sivananda
76. “The most creative act you will ever undertake is the act of creating yourself.” – Deepak Chopra
77. “By letting it go it all gets done. The world is won by those who let it go. But when you try and try. The world is beyond the winning.” – Lao Tzu
78. “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.” – Anne Lamott
79. “Wellness comes from within, and it starts with the mind.” – Danica Patrick
80. “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence. It is self-preservation.” – Audre Lorde
81. “Once I wake up, I spend five minutes or so daydreaming in bed and breathing to acclimate before I touch my phone.” – Khajak Keledjian
82. “As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” – Maya Angelou
83. “We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own ‘to do’ list.” – Michelle Obama
84. “If you feel ‘burnout’ setting in, if you feel demoralized and exhausted, it is best, for the sake of everyone, to withdraw and restore yourself.” – Dalai Lama
85. “Show up for yourself. Show up for others. Stare down your fears and insecurities.” – Julie Burton
86. “I think for anyone to become good at something, they have to fail a lot too. And they have to be completely unafraid to fail or they’ll never make it to the next level.” – Amy Schumer
87. “Be who you are and say how you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” – Dr. Seuss
88. “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.” – Brené Brown
89. “Keep good company, read good books, love good things and cultivate soul and body as faithfully as you can.” – Louisa May Alcott
90. “To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” – Oscar Wilde
Self-Care Quotes To Inspire Healthy Life
91. Self-care is how you take your power back.” – Lalah Delia
92. “Do whatever you want to do so long as you do no harm.” – Minimalism Co
93. “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.” – Jack Kornfield
94. “The really important thing is not to live, but to live well.” – Socrates
95. “Happiness is the highest form of health.” – Dalai Lama
96. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” Buddha
97. “A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.” – Mark Twain
98. “May you live everyday of your life.” – Jonathan Swift
99. “It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver. ” – Mahatma Gandhi
100. “Our bodies are our gardens – our wills are our gardeners.” – William Shakespeare
101. “I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health.” – Voltaire
102. “What is called genius is the abundance of life and health. ” – Henry David Thoreau
103. “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one’s own sunshine.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
104. “Keeping your body healthy is an expression of gratitude.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
105. “Self-care is not an expense, it’s an investment.” – Minimalism Co
106. “If you aren’t taking care of yourself first, how can you be in a position to take care of anyone else?” – Minimalist Co
107. “In a disordered mind, as in a disordered body, soundness of health is impossible.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
108. “The greatest wealth is health.” – Virgil
109. “Be you, love you. All ways, always.” – Alexandria Elle
110. “To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.” – Oscar Wilde
111. “I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival.” – Audre Lorde
Self-Care Quotes For Your Body & Soul
112. “We need to replace your vicious stress cycle with a vicious cycle of self-care.” – Dr. Sara Gottfried
113. “If you have the ability to love, love yourself first.” – Charles Bukwoski
114. “When we care for ourselves as our very own beloved—with naps, healthy food, clean sheets, a lovely cup of tea—we can begin to give in wildly generous ways to the world, from abundance.” – Anne Lamott
115. “If you ask what is the single most important key to longevity, I would have to say it is avoiding worry, stress and tension. And if you didn’t ask me, I’d still have to say it.” – George Burns
116. “This revolutionary act of treating ourselves tenderly can begin to undo the aversive messages of a lifetime.” – Tara Brach
117. “Always make decisions that prioritize your inner peace.” – Izey Victoria Odiase
118. “Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others.” – Christopher Germer
119. “When you are compassionate with yourself, you trust in your soul, which you let guide your life. Your soul knows the geography of your destiny better than you do.” – John O’Donohue
120. “Mindset, habits, and routines are the building blocks for success toward your wellness goals” – Robyn Conley Downs
121. “Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” – Eleanor Brown
122. “You can’t really be present for the people in your life if you aren’t taking care of yourself.” – Kerry Washington
123. “It’s not selfish to love yourself, take care of yourself, and to make your happiness a priority. It’s necessary.” – Mandy Hale
124. “Affirmations are our mental vitamins, providing the supplementary positive thoughts we need to balance the barrage of negative events and thoughts we experience daily.” – Tia Walker
125. “The time to relax is when you don’t have time for it.” – Sydney J. Harris
126. “Don’t sacrifice yourself too much, because if you sacrifice too much there’s nothing else you can give, and nobody will care for you.” – Karl Lagerfeld
127. “There are days I drop words of comfort on myself like falling leaves and remember that it is enough to be taken care of by myself.” – Brian Andreas
128. “The challenge is not to be perfect—it is to be whole.” – Jane Fonda
129. “Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.” – Hermann Hesse
130. “Put yourself at the top of your to-do list every single day, and the rest will fall into place.” – Unknown
131. “Caring for your body, mind, and spirit is your greatest and grandest responsibility. It’s about listening to the needs of your soul and then honoring them.” – Kristi Ling
132. “Self-care means giving yourself permission to pause.” – Cecilia Tran
133. “Nourishing yourself in a way that helps you blossom in the direction you want to go is attainable, and you are worth the effort.” – Deborah Day
134. “I make it a point to practice self-care. I make an appointment with myself.” – Manisha Singal
135. “Self-care has become a new priority – the revelation that it’s perfectly permissible to listen to your body and do what it needs.” – Frances Ryan
136. “Self care is a deliberate choice to gift yourself with people, places, things, events, and opportunities that recharge our personal battery and promote whole health–body, mind, and spirit.” – Laurie Buchanan
137. “Whatever you are doing, love yourself for doing it. Whatever you are feeling, love yourself for feeling it.” – Thaddeus Golas
138. “Be you, love you. All ways, always.” – Alexandra Elle
139. “If you feel “burnout” setting in, if you feel demoralized and exhausted, it is best, for the sake of everyone, to withdraw and restore yourself.” – Dalai Lama
140. “Your well-being affects (and is affected by) those waves through small ripples of self-care and the decisions you make.” – Melissa Steginus
141. “Take time to do what makes your soul happy.” – Unknown
142. “Decide today that you are going to manage your schedule instead of allowing it to manage you.” – Joyce Meyer
143. “Every time you make a commitment to your own self-care, self-love and self-respect and then follow through, you build trust in yourself.” – Miranda J Barrett
144. “Self-care is your fuel … Whatever the road ahead or the path you’ve taken, self-care is what keeps your motor running and your wheels turning.” – Melissa Steginus
145. “Care for your psyche…know thyself, for once we know ourselves, we may learn how to care for ourselves.” – Socrates
146. “Do something nice for yourself today. Find some quiet, sit in stillness, breathe. Put your problems on pause. You deserve a break.” – Akiroq Brost
147. “Carve out and claim the time to care for yourself and kindle your own fire.” – Amy Ippoliti
148. “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.” – Audre Lorde
149. “One person’s self-care isn’t necessarily another’s—there is going to be a lot of individuality.” – Gail Saltz, M.D.
150. “Life should be touched, not strangled. You’ve got to relax, let it happen at times, and at others move forward with it.” – Ray Bradbury
151. “Mind. Body. Soul. These are the three things self-care is all about.” – Kathy Sledge
152. “Invent your world. Surround yourself with people, color, sounds, and work that nourish you.” – Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy
153. “Grab a coffee. Journal your intentions. Get to work. Create miracles.” – Elyse Santilli
154 “I love you but I got to love me more.” – Peggi Speers
155. “Every morning, look in the mirror and affirm positive words into your life.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
156. “Self-love is asking yourself what you need – every day – and then making sure you receive it.” – Unknown
157. The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself.” – Anna Quindlen
158. “You have been criticizing yourself for years, and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” – Louise L. Hay
159. “Honestly, self-care is not fluffy. It’s something we should take seriously.” – Kris Carr
160. “I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self-indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival.” – Audre Lorde
161. “The most powerful relationship you will ever have is the relationship with yourself.” – Steve Maraboli
162. “We can climb mountains with self-love.” – Samira Wiley
163. “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” – Oprah Winfrey
164. “There is enough time for self-care. There is not enough time to make up for the life you’ll miss by not filling yourself up.” – Jennifer Williamson
165. “Self-care is taking all the pressures you are facing right now, and deciding to which you will respond, and how.” – Imani Shola
166. “Self-care is how you take your power back.” – Lalah Delia
167. “Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” – Unknown
168. “Be loud about the things that are important to you.” – Karen Walrond
169. “Be patient with yourself. Self-growth is tender; it’s holy ground. There’s no greater investment.” – Stephen Covey
170. “Self-love is an ocean and your heart is a vessel. Make it full, and any excess will spill over into the lives of the people you hold dear. But you must come first.” – Beau Taplin
171. “Do something every day that is loving toward your body and gives you the opportunity to enjoy the sensations of your body.” – Golda Poretsky
172. “Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths.” – Etty Hillesum
173. “Until you value yourself, you won’t value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.” – M. Scott Peck
174. “An empty lantern provides no light. Self-care is the fuel that allows your light to shine brightly.” – Unknown
175. “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.” – Jack Kornfield
176. “As important as it is to have a plan for doing work, it is perhaps more important to have a plan for rest, relaxation, self-care, and sleep.” – Akiroq Brost
177. “When you say ‘yes’ to others make sure you are not saying ‘no’ to yourself.” – Paulo Coelho
How Can Reading Self-Care Quotes Help You?
Reading quotes about self-care can be incredibly beneficial in a number of ways.
Here are a few ways that reading self-care quotes can help us:
- Inspire and Motivate: Self-care quotes can serve as a source of inspiration and motivation to prioritize our own well-being. They remind us that self-care is not just a luxury but a necessary practice to maintain our physical and mental health.
- Increase Self-Awareness: Many self-care quotes encourage us to reflect on our own needs and emotions. By reading these quotes, we can gain a greater understanding of ourselves and our own self-care needs.
- Encourage Positive Thinking: Self-care quotes often promote positive thinking and help us reframe negative thoughts. By reading these quotes, we can shift our focus to the positive aspects of self-care and its benefits.
- Provide a Reminder: We all lead busy lives, and it’s easy to forget to take care of ourselves amidst our daily responsibilities. Self-care quotes serve as a reminder to prioritize our well-being and take the time we need to recharge and rejuvenate.
- Offer Support: Sometimes, we need a little extra support in our self-care journey. Self-care quotes can provide a sense of comfort and validation that we are not alone in our struggles and that it’s okay to prioritize ourselves.
Implementing self-care quotes into daily life is a simple yet effective way to incorporate self-care practices into our routine.
Here are a few ways to do it:
- Use them as affirmations: Choose a self-care quote that resonates with you and repeat it to yourself throughout the day. This can help you stay focused on your self-care goals and reinforce positive thinking.
- Create a self-care journal: Write down your favorite self-care quotes in a journal and reflect on them regularly. Use them as a source of inspiration and motivation to help you stay on track with your self-care routine.
- Display them around your living space: Print out self-care quotes and hang them around your home or workspace as a daily reminder to take care of yourself. Seeing these quotes regularly can help reinforce the importance of self-care in your life.
- Share them with others: Sharing self-care quotes with friends and family can help spread the message of self-care and encourage others to prioritize their well-being. You can send them via text or post them on social media to inspire others to practice self-care.
- Use them in a self-care routine: Incorporate self-care quotes into your self-care routine. For example, you can read a self-care quote before a meditation or mindfulness session to help set the tone for your practice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are self-care quotes important?
Self-care quotes are important because they serve as a reminder to prioritize our own well-being.
They can inspire and motivate us to take care of ourselves physically and mentally, and remind us that self-care is not just a luxury but a necessary practice for our overall health and happiness.
Self-care quotes can also promote positive thinking and help us reframe negative thoughts, which can contribute to our mental well-being.
How can self-care quotes be used in daily life?
Self-care quotes can be used in daily life in various ways. They can be used as affirmations, repeated to oneself throughout the day.
They can also be included in a self-care journal or displayed around the living space to serve as a reminder to prioritize self-care.
Self-care quotes can also be shared with friends and family to promote the importance of self-care and inspire others to prioritize their own well-being.
Can self-care quotes replace professional mental health support?
Self-care quotes should not replace professional mental health support.
While self-care practices and positive thinking can contribute to our overall well-being, they are not a substitute for professional help when it is needed.
If you are experiencing mental health challenges, it is important to seek the support of a mental health professional.
- Stromatolites Meanings, Healing Properties and Uses - October 7, 2023
- Green Jade Meanings, Healing Properties and Uses - October 3, 2023
- 125 Powerful Manifesting Affirmations To Achieve Your Dreams - September 21, 2023