Are you seeing mourning doves in your life at the moment and wondering what implications they could have on your spiritual journey?
Perhaps you have a deep affinity with the creatures and are curious what they could mean for your life. The mourning dove is symbolic of peace, love, and faith, they are also known to be spiritual messengers.
In this article, we are going to look at these spiritually significant birds and learn about their meaning in your life and what spiritual aid they can offer you when you are in a time of need.
So, without further ado, let us begin by looking into the mourning dove as a spirit animal and what all of that implies.
Mourning Dove Spirit Animal Meaning
The mourning dove is a small yet meaningful bird that can represent some things about yourself that you do not particularly like.
Whatever these things are, it is likely that you have been trying to ignore them for quite a while and do not want to come to terms with them or fix these issues.
The mourning dove is symbolic of trying to be honest, facing those insecurities so that you can improve and build upon yourself. Addressing these things might be shocking when you eventually do decide to look them in the eye.
The mourning dove tries to show us that we need to bring these insecurities to light so that we can eventually be happy in ourselves one day.
This little bird is also symbolic of freedom, like most birds, mourning doves fly and this is indicative of being able to fly away from our worries.
You will not be tied down and or obligated when you would rather not because the mourning dove shows us that we are able to remove ourselves from situations that are restrictive to our growth.
When the mourning dove appears in your life, it can be a sign that you need to find a community and work on improving the world around you.
It would be beneficial for you to work on something that will inspire others to follow your example. Help those that are on a path of self-destruction while also living in your own truth and not embracing the good, bad and ugly about yourself.
Mourning Dove Totem Animal Meaning
A totem animal is one you have a deep connection with and guides you throughout your life, lending you strength to overcome obstacles.
The mourning dove totem animal is one that signifies the need to let go of the past. Holding onto the past, especially when it is negative, will hold you back from feeling true happiness.
They show us that we need to have positive experiences that make us happy, this can come from the most unexpected places. Look for ways to bring about your happiness, the optimistic spirit of the mourning dove will guide you even when you think that there is no real reason to be happy.
The mourning dove totem represents love, these birds mate for life and so show us that it is possible to find one true love. In some cultures, these birds embody life and death.
But, mourning doves are best known for showing us the power of love and how much stronger we can become through embracing it.
It is never too late to begin life again, the mourning dove often symbolizes rebirth and shows us that even when there is nothing left for us, there is the option to begin anew.
Open your eyes to everything the world holds around you, and you may very well find something new that will bring you happiness even when something is coming to an end.
Mourning Dove Power Animal Meaning
A power animal is one whose strength and energy you draw upon to help you through your life. You will gain the power of your chosen animal, which can allow you to be able to get through a tough situation or even overcome your own shortcomings
The mourning dove is a powerful animal to call upon when you need its strength in your life. When you require strength, love, and peace in your life, the mourning dove will be at your side.
They will help you communicate even when you are angered, they soothe you and allow you to take a step back to make better decisions when it comes to speaking your mind.
The mourning dove is often associated with parenthood, family, and the home. These animals are symbolic of love, fertility, and lasting relationships.
So, when you are entering parenthood or need help in your new life, the mourning dove will be there to lend you a hand and imbue you with the patience and love to get through life.
The Meaning of a Mourning Dove in Dreams
The mourning dive shares much of its symbolism and spiritual meaning with the white dove. The main difference is that the mourning dove can more typically be associated with death than its cousin, the white dove. So, seeing either of these doves in your dreams could mean that your message will be extremely similar.
- A Flock of Mourning Doves: If you see a flock of mourning doves, it can be a good sign. If one of them is carrying something, it can mean that you will receive good news from far away. If the doves fly around in the air, it is a sign that you will find peace and that your life will change for the better in the near future.
- A couple of Mourning Doves Cooing: If you see a couple of mourning doves cooing together, it can mean that you will experience a loving and fulfilling relationship. It might mean that a relationship you are currently in will bloom into something that perfectly suits you, or that soon you will encounter someone that will truly love you as you deserve.
- Mother Mourning Dove with Chicks: A mother mourning dove interacting with her chicks might mean that you will have children in the near future. In addition to that, this happening in your dream might mean that you need to put more energy into your family relationships.
- Taking a Mourning Doves Chicks: If you see yourself taking chicks out of a nest, it might indicate that you will have visitors soon. Other than that, if you feed these chicks, it may be a sign that you need to do a good deed in your life and that it will impact both yourself and the people in your life.
- A Mourning Dove Sat on Your Shoulder: If you see a mourning dove sitting on your shoulder, it is likely a warning that you should watch those around you more closely. Either you or a family member may start to grow ill. So, when you see a mourning dove sitting on your shoulder, make sure to be aware of changes in those around you so that you can get help for them before it progresses to a point of no return.
- A Mourning Dove Sat on a Table: A dove that is stood on a table, it can be an ill omen sickness may afflict you. It can also mean that you may soon experience loss if the dove is pecking at crumbs. Finally, if this dive flies away, it is likely that you will receive sad news. So, seeing a mourning dove in any of these situations will likely mean that sickness or loss will follow shortly.
- A Mourning Dove on a Church: This sign is often construed as religious, the Christians would see this as a symbol of God providing for them and that he will not leave them unsupported. As someone that is not religious, you might see this as a sign that you are not alone and that your family will be there to support you.
- A Mourning Dove Drinking: A mourning dove that is drinking is a sure sign that times of trouble will soon change for the better. If the dove falls in the water and drowns, it can be a very bad omen. This is a sign that a project or business venture you have been working on will fail despite your best efforts.
- A Mourning Dove Flies into your Window: If you see a mourning dove fly into a window, it is a sign that you will have some free time soon. On the other hand, a mourning dove flying into a window might mean that a prospective partner will soon show up in their life.
- An Injured Mourning Dove: If you see a wounded mourning dove in your dreams, it is often a sign that you will experience bad luck soon. Especially in your relationships. It might be that you are unable to find the source of trouble for your friend, or it could be that you cannot find it in yourself to separate yourself from one person that is toxic.
- A Mourning Dove Being Hunted: This is a bad sign, hunting a mourning dove is a sign that you need to come to terms with the dark side of your soul. Acknowledge that you have darkness in your soul that is negatively impacting your life. You need to face these demons and address these issues, otherwise, you may experience a lot of negativity in your life soon.
- A Ring on a Mourning Dove’s Foot: If you see yourself putting a ring on the leg of a mourning dove it is a sign that surprising good news will come your way soon. So, be aware that you will hear about something good coming into your life in the near future.
The Meaning of Mourning Dove in Tattoos
Doves are significant to many cultures. In some Native American cultures, doves are thought to be spirits of the dead.
The ancient Greeks showed their goddess of love, sex, and beauty Aphrodite to ride around in a carriage drawn by doves. In Aztec culture, the goddess of love known as Xoxhiquetzal was often portrayed as a dove.
Even Christian culture has a history with these birds, the story of Noah’s ark portrays a dove.
There is a great deal of meaning we can associate with the dove regardless of their type. Most have similar meanings, some of which are as follows:
- Joy: This symbolism might come from the idea of Noah and the ark, the joy of finally being able to leave the ark after so long is universally recognizable.
- Freedom: Like most birds, doves fly and symbolize the idea of being able to fly away and leave behind negativity to a new and free existence.
- Family: Doves mate for life, and care for their chicks together. So, if you get a tattoo of a pair of doves, this is the kind of message you are portraying.
- Faith: Because of the religious association with the dove they are seen as symbols of faith, especially in Christianity.
- Dedication: These birds mate for life and dedicate themselves to one partner, going so far as to share the chick-rearing.
- Spiritual Messenger: Once again, this idea originates from the Christian Bible, the use of the dove to bring back news of land by bringing back an olive branch.
- Victory: The idea of extending an olive branch to your enemies and the idea of the dove bringing an olive branch to Noah on the ark in Christianity are a few reasons that this bird is typically associated with victory.
- Beauty: This symbolism can easily be thought to come from the natural beauty of these birds. But, there is also the symbolic nature of them in cultural settings. They are associated with the goddess Aphrodite, who is the Greek goddess of beauty and love.
- Cultural or Religious Meaning: There are a plethora of religious and cultural meanings behind the dove tattoo, some of which we have looked at above. The idea of being a messenger from God for the Christians and or as a symbol of the dead transformed into doves for the Native Americans. With so many cultural implications and meanings associated with these birds, it is important to keep this in mind when getting a tattoo of a mourning dove or any other dove.
There are literally a plethora of different meanings you can associate with doves, the important takeaway is that you need to assign your own meaning.
So, when you are considering getting a mourning dove or any dove tattoo, make sure that you look into yourself and get a tattoo that means something to you personally.
The Meaning of Mourning Dove in Astrology and the Zodiac
While there is not a specific mourning dove astrological or zodiac sign, there is information on the humble dove itself.
Those under this sign are adventurous, independent, and adventurous. They love life and are always in search of new and joyful experiences.
The dove tends to look forward at all times and does not stay fixed on the past. But, they are often restless and this causes them to take unnecessary risks. Luckily for them, they tend to have good fortune and land on their feet regardless of impulsive decisions.
This sign believes that anything is achievable if they work toward it, through hard work the dove achieves their goals and is able to get their life back on track regardless of mishaps.
To make things even better for those under this sign, doves are excellent learners and thrive when there is something new to improve on or take in.
The main challenge the dive will have is to stay interested in their undertakings because they have a tendency to lose interest as they progress.
This sign has trouble staying present, they are always working toward their next goal or improving their lot in life for the future. This can mean that they miss out on things happening around them, especially the more subtle things.
The dove needs to slow down and take a moment to enjoy the small things around them. Appreciate the smell of roses or the warmth of the summer sun.
Those under this sign can find love challenges, they are often misunderstood and can be hard to get on with. They are perceived as unpredictable, rude, and self-absorbed a lot of the time, but they only mean to speak the truth and express themselves the best way they can.
They can be hard to keep stationary, always on the move, and not wanting to be tied down. The dove does not want to be controlled and has the tendency to get bored easily, and when they do, they are not fun to be around.
They will need a partner that understands them and what they need, and when this happens you will find a life partner with the dove.
The dove has a love for travel and adventure, they also have a tendency to do well with languages. Because of this, they are quite good at jobs such as translators, language teachers, explorers, tour guides, or even foreign ambassadors.
The desire and love of experiencing new people and places is a strong pull for those under the dove sign.
The Symbolic and Spiritual Meaning of the Mourning Dove
The mourning dove has many symbolic and spiritual meanings, many of which overlap in the greater scheme of things. This bird has a deep-rooted history in Christian culture and because of that, all doves are seen as symbolic of this religion and faith in general.
Some meanings associated with the mourning dove are as follows:
- Hope in Christianity: This meaning comes from the story of Noah and the flood in the bible. When the floodwaters receded, Noah sent out a dove to find land and when it came back with an olive branch, it was a sign that there was a place for all the animals and people to go. The hope symbolism comes from the idea that the dove was sent out in the hopes of freeing everyone on the ark.
- Love and Protection: In some Native American cultures doves are seen as symbols of love and protection, this comes from the fact that these birds mate for life. They are monogamous, which is why they are often used as a symbol of love. Other tribes used to use the feathers of doves to protect and give them good luck.
- Souls of the Dead: Some Native American cultures thought of doves as the souls of the dead transformed. This idea can also be seen in some pieces of artwork where doves are flying out of explosions. It is thought that in cases like that they represent the martyred souls of soldiers.
- Peace: Traditionally, a white dove is used as a symbol of peace, but in reality, all doves are seen to symbolically represent peace all around the world. Some symbolism for this representation includes an olive branch, which ties in with Christianity again.
- Sadness: Especially in Christianity, doves are representative of mourning and sadness. The sound that mourning doves make, and their very names are why they are symbolic of sadness despite the fact that they are more commonly symbolic of peace, joy, family, and faith.
- Joy: Despite the sad-sounding name, the mourning dove is often a symbol of joy. The way that these birds interact with each other and symbolize family is just one reason that they represent joy.
- Beauty: The mourning dove or any dove are typically symbolic of beauty. This may come from the association with Aphrodite and her chariot drawn by doves, or the fact that doves, in general, are beautiful creatures.
- Faith: Once again, the idea of faith comes from the Christian culture and goes back to the idea of Noah setting the dove free so that they can return with a sign of land.
That is all for this article, mourning doves are important and beautiful birds which are very significant in our lives.
They have so much strength and wisdom to offer us despite being small and fairly common birds. But, if you heed the call of the mourning dove you might find that there is quite a lot they can show you.
- Angel Number 14 Meaning, Symbolism, And Significance - June 18, 2022
- Angel Number 3838 Meaning: For New Beginnings And Positive Outlook - June 18, 2022
- Angel Number 6565: Meaning, Symbolism, Twin Flame, And Significance - June 18, 2022