Regret is a universal feeling that we all experience at some point in our lives. Whether it’s a missed opportunity, a mistake we made, or something we wish we had done differently, regret can weigh heavily on our hearts and minds.
But while it can be painful to dwell on the past, there is something powerful about facing our regrets and finding ways to move forward.
One way to do this is by seeking out quotes about regret.
Quotes can offer insight, comfort, and inspiration, reminding us that we’re not alone in our struggles and that there is hope for healing and growth.
As someone who has struggled with regret myself, I’ve found solace in the wisdom of others.
Quotes about regret have helped me gain perspective on my mistakes, learn from them, and move forward with a greater sense of purpose and clarity.
One of my favorite quotes about regret comes from the famous writer and poet Maya Angelou, who once said, “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
This quote reminds me that we are all doing the best we can with the knowledge and resources we have at any given moment.
It’s only when we gain new insights and perspectives that we can begin to make different choices and take different actions.
Another powerful quote about regret comes from the philosopher and writer Seneca, who wrote, “Regret is the punishment for inattention.” This quote reminds me that regret often arises when we’re not fully present in the moment or when we make choices without fully considering the consequences.
By being more mindful and intentional in our actions, we can minimize the chances of regret.
Whether you’re grappling with a specific regret or simply seeking inspiration for living a more intentional life, quotes about regret can offer valuable insights and guidance.
In the pages of this article, we’ll explore some of the most insightful and thought-provoking quotes about regret, and offer tips for applying their wisdom to your own life.
So, grab a cup of tea, settle in, and let’s explore the transformative power of regret together.
Regret Quotes That Will Help You To Move Forward
1. “I see it all perfectly, there are two possible situations, one can either do this or that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it, you will regret both.” – Soren Kierkegaard
2. “The one thing I learned is to just give everything a shot. You don’t want to live in regret.” – Chloe Kim
3. “Never regret. If it’s good, it’s wonderful. If it’s bad, it’s experience.” – Victoria Holt
4. “Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other path, no other way, no day but today.” – Jonathan Larson
5. “Have you ever hoped for something? And held out for it against all the odds? Until everything you did was ridiculous?” – Ali Shaw
6. “When tomorrow comes this day will be gone forever, but I shall hold something which I have traded for it. It may be no more than a memory, but if it is a worthy one I shall not regret the price.” – Unknown
7. “We cannot always change what has happened to us, but we can change how we react and how we live in the future. Living with no regrets is living successfully.” – Dr. Ellen Taricani
8. “Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, It might have been.” – Kurt Vonnegut
9. “Stop fretting about past decisions. They have provided valuable wisdom. Go forward without fear or regret.” – Paul Martens
10. “Our biggest regrets are not for the things we have done but for the things we haven’t done.” – Chad Michael Murray
11. “Regret is counterproductive. It’s looking back on a past that you can’t change. Questioning things as they occur can prevent regret in the future.” – Colleen Hoover
12. “There are two kinds of guilt: the kind that drowns you until you’re useless, and the kind that fires your soul to purpose.” – Sabaa Tahir
13. “Regret is an odd emotion because it comes only upon reflection. Regret lacks immediacy, and so its power seldom influences events when it could do some good.” – William O’Rourke
14. “I want to undo this. To make it right. But I have no idea how. I don’t seem to know how to open up to people without getting the door slammed in my face. So I do nothing.” – Gayle Forman
15. “We have to let go of all blame, all attacking, all judging, to free our inner selves to attract what we say we want.” – Joe Vitale
16. “Living with regrets was like driving a car that only moved in reverse.” – Jodi Picoult
17. “Looking back, I have this to regret . . . that too often when I loved, I did not say so.” – David Grayson
18. “Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can’t build on it; it’s only good for wallowing in.” – Katherine Mansfield
19. “You can’t regret the life you didn’t lead.” – Junot Díaz
20. “Most of us have had regrets and recognize how they can hold us back or keep us stuck in life and relationships. Overcoming the past is important for anyone desiring to live beyond mistakes and the problems they make.” – Ron Neff
21. “Regret, remorse, sorrow all emotions that can result in negative feelings. Only you can change your emotions to positive ones, you cannot change the past but you can change the future” – Catherine Pulsifer
22. “Never regret trusting someone. It proves you have a heart. But if he turns out to be a lying worm, I’m not going to waste my time crying. Because I am way too fabulous for that.” – Jude Watson
23. “Many people choose to dwell on their failures. This leads to unnecessary worrying, regret, shame, and stress. Instead of dwelling on the past, you can reflect on your experiences and use negative situations as a learning experience.” – Morris Pratt
24. “The essential sadness is to go through life without loving. But it would be almost equally sad to leave this world without ever telling those you loved that you love them.” – Unknown
25. “I would much rather have regrets about not doing what people said, than regretting not doing what my heart led me to and wondering what life had been like if I’d just been myself.” – Brittany Renee
26. “The mistakes I’ve made are dead to me. But I can’t take back the things I never did.” – Jonathan Safran Foer
27. “The only things I regret, and the only things I’ll ever regret are things I didn’t do. In the end, that’s what we mourn. The paths we didn’t take. The people we didn’t touch.” – Scott Spencer
28. “Regret is mostly caused by not having done anything.” – Charles Bukowski
29. “The longer our trail of regrets, the more we tend to value the importance of making wise decisions.” – Bob Santos
30. “Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend and cherish it till it comes to have a separate and integral interest. To regret deeply is to live afresh.” – Henry David Thoreau
31. “Not everything’s perfect, especially in the beginning. And it’s all right to have a little bit of regret every once in a while. It’s when you feel it all the time and can’t do anything about it. That’s when you get into trouble.” – Sarah Dessen
32. “Never regret anything from your past because one day, you’ll look back and thank it for hurting you so much that you decided to become a stronger human being.” – Faith Star
33. “Regrets are not inherited. Regrets are those elements of life that seek to undermine our enthusiasm and our willingness to assume a life filled with new discoveries and the attainment of goals. Let not your regrets be your undoing but instead your vehicle to learn from what did not work.” – Byron Pulsifer
34. “The past could always be annihilated. Regret, denial, or forgetfulness could do that. But the future was inevitable.” – Oscar Wilde
35. “If you had to relive your life exactly as it was, same successes and failures, same happiness, same miseries, same mixture of comedy and tragedy, would you want to? Was it worth it?” – Gavin Extence
36. “In history as in human life, regret does not bring back a lost moment and a thousand years will not recover something lost in a single hour.” – Stefan Zweig
37. “Everybody was sorry. Sorry was easy. Sorry was for suckers.” – Gretchen McNeil
38. “Something you need most might be something you turn away from, something you turn away from might be something you regret, and something you regret, in the end, might cost you the one chance you ever had.” – Brian Judge
RELATED: 302 Inspiring Daily Habit Quotes To Build A Better Life
39. “Four things do not come back: the spoken word, the sped arrow, the past life, and the neglected opportunity.” – Ted Chiang
40. “Have no regrets. The elderly usually don’t have regrets for what we did, but rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those with regrets.” – Unknown
41. “If I’m sincere today, what does it matter if I regret it tomorrow?” – José Saramago
42. “Regret is an unavoidable result of any loss, for in loss we lose the tomorrow that we needed to make right our yesterday or today.” – Gerald Lawson Sittser
43. “If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world.” – Mercedes Lackey
44. “Don’t allow yourself to become one who, nearing death, regrets what you might have done if only you had taken a few risks we each have a purpose in life.” – Gillian Stokes
45. “There was a long hard time when I kept far from me the remembrance of what I had thrown away when I was quite ignorant of its worth.” – Charles Dickens
46. “If you are afraid to take a chance, take one anyway. What you don’t do can create the same regrets as the mistakes you make.” – Iyanla Vanzant
47. “If we fill our hours with regrets over the failures of yesterday, we have no today in which to be thankful.” – Anonymous
48. “Heartbreak could be lived with if it weren’t accompanied by regret.” – Laura Kasischke
49. “Don’t live your life regretting yesterday. Live your life so tomorrow you won’t regret today.” – Catherine Pulsifer
50. “If you live long enough, you’ll make mistakes. But if you learn from them, you’ll be a better person. It’s how you handle adversity, not how it affects you. The main thing is never quit, never quit, never quit.” – William J. Clinton
51. “Regrets are idle; yet history is one long regret. Everything might have turned out so differently.” – Charles Dudley Warner
52. “Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets.” – Arthur Miller
53. “I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done.” – Lucille Ball
54. “We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles, and you are here now with the power to shape your day and your future.” – Steve Maraboli
55. “Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.” – Sydney J. Harris
56. “We all make mistakes in life that’s true. Some little, some big, some simple and some more complex. Some mistakes we regret forever.” – Rashard Royster
57. “I try to face things without regret, or make sure that I’m happy with things and leave nothing unsaid if I can.” – Hozier
58. “First, imagine taking the potentially regret – producing path of inaction. Then imagine what the very best outcome would be were you to take this risk. By picturing both scenarios in advance, you can avoid the regret of what might have been.” – Wayne Dyer
59. “Regrets are pointless. It’s too late for regrets. You’ve already done it, haven’t you? You’ve lived your life. No point wishing you could change it.” – Lemmy Kilmister
RELATED: 361 Uplifting Quotes To Start The New Week On A Positive Note
60. “Regret is a tough but fair teacher. To live without regret is to believe you have nothing to learn, no amends to make, and no opportunity to be braver with your life. ” – Brene Brown
61. “The advance of regret can be so gradual that it is impossible to say: Yesterday I was happy, Today I am not.” – E.M. Forster
62. “There are moments in your life where you realize you could do nothing, but if you do, you’ll probably regret it forever.” – Milana Vayntrub
63. “There is no point in regretting for things that have happened but it makes a big difference to think about a solution or idea to change the unexpected outcome or effects of the choices made.” – Lindsay Hallie
64. “Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today and you make your tomorrow.” – L. Ron Hubbard
65. “Sensitive people either love deeply or they regret deeply. There really is no middle ground because they live in passionate extremes.” – Shannon L. Alder
66. “We all do things we desperately wish we could undo. Those regrets just become part of who we are, along with everything else. To spend time trying to change that, well, it’s like chasing clouds.” – Libba Bray
67. “Uncertainty is the worst of all evils until the moment when reality makes us regret uncertainty.” – Alphonse Karr
68. “I never regret anything. Because every little detail of your life is what made you into who you are in the end.” – Drew Barrymore
69. “I made decisions that I regret, and I took them as learning experiences. I’m human, not perfect, like anybody else.” – Queen Latifah
70. “No amount of guilt can change the past and no amount of worrying can change the future.” – Umar ibn Al-Khattab
71. “When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.” – Alexander Graham Bell
Regret Quotes To Let Go Of Mistakes & Move On In Life
72. “Sometimes I wish life was written pencil so we could erase it and write it all over again.” – Thisuri Wanniarachchi
73. “Never regret anything you have done with a sincere affection; nothing is lost that is born of the heart.” – Basil Rathbone
74. “When we grow old, there can only be one regret, not to have given enough of ourselves.” – Eleonora Duse
75. “When you loved someone and had to let them go, there will always be that small part of yourself that whispers, “What was it that you wanted and why didn’t you fight for it?” – Shannon Alder
76. “It is not the experience of Today that drives a person mad, it is the remorse or bitterness of something which happened Yesterday and the dread of what Tomorrow may bring.” – Unknown
RELATED: 45 Songs About Regret To Identify With In Your Regrettable Situations
77. “Mistakes we make in the past sometimes keep us connected. Heartache sometimes keeps us connected.” – Jacqueline Simon Gunn
78. “You can never regret anything you do in life. You kind of have to learn the lesson from whatever the experience is and take it with you on your journey forward.” – Aubrey O’Day
79. “We should have taken our chances back then, when we were young and beautiful and didn’t even know it.” – Lois McMaster Bujold
80. “Trust before you love, know before you judge, commit before you promise, forgive before you forget and appreciate before you regret.” – Unknown
81. “There is no more disastrous mania, no more dangerous whim, than the speculation over roads not taken.” – Juan Gabriel Vásquez
82. “When it’s gone, you’ll know what a gift love was. You’ll suffer like this. So go back and fight to keep it.” – Ian McEwan
83. “If we don’t deal with the roots of our regrets, if we don’t make the choice to start over, the costs of what we’re missing out on can be enormous and will accrue exponentially over time.” – Dave Ferguson
84. “A great source of calamity lies in regret and anticipation; therefore a person is wise who thinks of the present alone, regardless of the past or future.” – Oliver Goldsmith
85. “The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn’t live boldly enough, that they didn’t invest enough heart, didn’t love enough. Nothing else really counts at all.” – Ted Hughes
86. “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.” – Jim Rohn
87. “Never ignore a person who loves and cares for you, because one day you may realize that you’ve lost the moon while counting the stars.” – Anonymous
88. “Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret.” – Robert E. Lee
89. “Sadly enough, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained.” – Johnathan Harnisch
90. “I’m too old to recover, too narrow to forgive myself.” – Lillian Hellman
91. “There was once a love which I did not learn to cherish, it was only when I lost it that I felt extreme regret. There is no worse experience than such feeling.” – Unknown
92. “Regret doesn’t remind us that we did badly. It reminds us that we know we can do better.” – Kathryn Schulz
93. “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” – Kahlil Gibran
94. “We crucify ourselves between two thieves: regret for yesterday and fear of tomorrow.” – Fulton Oursler
95. “One of the greatest regrets in life is being what others would want you to be, rather than being yourself.” – Shannon L. Alder
96. “People should not judge failed love affairs as failed experiences, but as part of the growth process. Something does not have to end well for it to have been one of the most valuable experiences of a lifetime.” – Ethel Person
97. “Never take anyone for granted…we never seem to realize what we have until it is no longer ours then it becomes the only thing we want.” – Unknown
98. “I think to regret is useless in life. It belongs to the past.” – Marlon Brando
99. “In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take, the relationships we were afraid to have, and the decisions we waited too long to make.” – Lewis Carroll
100. “Unforgiving hearts die in regret.” – Unknown
101. “When something goes wrong in your life, it doesn’t finish you, and you should become braver, knowing that you’ve got to go for things in life and don’t regret because you didn’t try to be as good as you might be.” – Gareth Southgate
102. “Don’t make my mistake. Don’t let yourself be so angry that you stop loving. Because one day you’ll wake up from that anger, and the person you love will be gone.” – Dawson’s Creek
103. “Regret is the worst human emotion. If you took another road, you might have fallen off a cliff. I’m content.” – William Shatner
104. “I wish I could turn back the clock. I’d find you sooner and love you longer.” – Unknown
105. “Hurting people you love is the heaviest kind of regret.” – Charlotte Eriksson
106. “The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost.” – G.K. Chesterson
107. “When someone you love says goodbye you can stare long and hard at the door they closed and forget to see all the doors God has open in front of you.” – Shannon Adler
108. “What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose.” – Henry Ward Beecher
109. “It is better to look ahead and prepare than to look back and regret.” – Jackie Joyner Kersee
110. “There is no need to lament on the bygone failures, instead concentrate on things that you can change and let other things take their own course.” – Robert Gallagher
111. “Don’t regret knowing the people who came into your life. Good people give you happiness. Bad ones give you experience. The worst ones give you lessons and the best people give you memories.” – Unknown
112. “Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.” – Washington Irvin
113. “‘Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” – Alfred Lord Tennyson
114. “And perhaps some will never understand, it is mostly the farewells that unite us, and last in our memory forever, even more than the first meeting.” – Mimi Novic
115. “What hurts more; the pain of ‘what ifs’, or the pain of rejection?” – Izey Odiase
116. “There’s this place in me where your fingerprints still rest, your kisses still linger, and your whispers softly echo. It’s the place where a part of you will forever be a part of me.” – Gretchen Kemp
117. “Who knows how long I’ve loved you, you know I love you still. Will I wait a lonely lifetime? If you want me to I will.” – The Beatles
RELATED: 180 Gentle Quotes About Nervousness To Decrease Anxiety And Bring A Sense Of Calm
How Can Reading Quotes About Regret Be Beneficial?
Reading quotes about overcoming regret can be beneficial in several ways:
- Gain Perspective: Quotes can offer a fresh perspective on our regrets, helping us to see our mistakes in a new light. By gaining a different viewpoint, we can start to reframe our regrets and see them as opportunities for growth and learning.
- Find Comfort: Regrets can be painful and isolating, but reading quotes from others who have experienced similar feelings can provide a sense of comfort and connection. Quotes can remind us that we’re not alone in our struggles and that others have found a way to move past their regrets.
- Find Inspiration: Quotes can inspire us to take action and make positive changes in our lives. By offering wisdom and guidance, quotes can help us identify the steps we need to take to overcome our regrets and live more fulfilling lives.
- Promote Self-Reflection: Reading quotes about overcoming regret can encourage us to reflect on our own lives and choices. By taking time to think deeply about our regrets and their root causes, we can start to make meaningful changes and move forward in a more intentional way.
- Encourage Forgiveness: Many quotes about overcoming regret focus on the importance of forgiveness, both for ourselves and for others. By learning to forgive ourselves and others, we can release the burden of our regrets and move forward with greater peace and clarity.
Implementing quotes about regret into daily life can be a helpful way to stay motivated and focused on personal growth.
Here are a few ways to incorporate quotes into your daily routine:
- Write Them Down: Choose a few quotes about regret that resonate with you and write them down in a journal or notebook. Keep this journal with you throughout the day and refer to it whenever you need a reminder of the wisdom and insight that the quotes offer.
- Use Them As Affirmations: Take a few minutes each morning to repeat a quote about regret as an affirmation. By speaking the words out loud, you can start your day with a positive mindset and a sense of purpose.
- Display Them In Your Home Or Workspace: Print out your favorite quotes about regret and display them in places where you’ll see them frequently, such as your bedroom, office, or kitchen. Seeing the quotes throughout the day can serve as a gentle reminder to stay focused on personal growth and moving past regrets.
- Discuss Them With Friends Or Loved Ones: Share quotes about regret with friends or loved ones and discuss how they resonate with you. By talking about regrets and personal growth with others, you can gain new insights and perspectives that can be helpful in your own journey.
- Apply Their Wisdom To Your Life: Finally, the most important way to implement quotes about regret into daily life is to apply their wisdom to your own life. Use the insights and guidance offered by the quotes to identify areas of personal growth, make positive changes in your life, and move forward with greater purpose and clarity.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Benefit Of Reading Quotes About Regret?
Reading quotes about regret can help us gain a new perspective on our past mistakes and help us reframe our regrets as opportunities for growth and learning.
They can also provide comfort and inspiration to move past our regrets and live more intentionally.
Can Quotes About Regret Really Help Me Overcome My Regrets?
Quotes alone may not be enough to completely overcome deep-seated regrets, but they can provide motivation, guidance, and a new way of thinking about our past mistakes.
By incorporating the wisdom and insights of others into our lives, we can gain a better understanding of ourselves and our regrets and begin taking meaningful steps towards growth and healing.
What Are Some Of The Most Inspiring Quotes About Regret?
There are countless quotes about regret, but some of the most inspiring ones include:
- “I have no regrets in my life. I think that everything happens to you for a reason. The hard times that you go through build character, making you a much stronger person.” – Rita Mero
- “Regret is a useless emotion. You can’t change the past, so why bother dwelling on it?” – Leo Buscaglia
- “It’s not what you did in the past that will define you, but what you do in the present and the future.” – Unknown
These quotes offer different perspectives on regret and the importance of focusing on the present and the future rather than dwelling on the past.
Continue Reading : 103 Inspiring Quotes On Giving To Help You Make A Difference
- 718 Negative Words That Begin With The Letter “R” - June 2, 2023
- 361 Negative Words That Begin With The Letter “Q” - June 1, 2023
- 620 Negative Words That Begin With The Letter “P” - May 31, 2023