Last Updated on August 16, 2023
“Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.” — Desmond Tutu
Hope is a powerful emotion that has helped me through some of the toughest times in my life. To me, hope is the belief that things will get better and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
When I’m feeling hopeless, I try to remind myself of times in the past when I felt the same way but eventually things turned around.
This helps me to remember that difficult times are temporary and that things will eventually improve.
I also find that it’s helpful to focus on the things that I do have control over. Instead of dwelling on the things that I can’t change, I try to focus on the things that I can do to improve my situation.
This gives me a sense of empowerment and helps to build my hope that things will get better.
Another way that I cultivate hope is by practicing gratitude. When I’m feeling down, I try to focus on the things that I’m grateful for in my life.
This helps to shift my mindset from one of lack to one of abundance, and it reminds me that even in difficult times, there are still things to be thankful for.
I also find that surrounding myself with positive people and messages can help to build my sense of hope.
Being around people who are supportive and encouraging can make a world of difference when I’m feeling down.
I also like to read books or listen to podcasts that are uplifting and inspiring.
In times of uncertainty or difficulty, it’s easy to lose hope. But I’ve learned that hope is something that can be cultivated and strengthened with practice.
By focusing on the things that I can control, practicing gratitude, and surrounding myself with positivity, I’m able to build my sense of hope and stay motivated through challenging times.
One way I cultivate hope is by reading quotes and connecting to those that really speak to me. Below you will find 138 quotes for hope. Let them help you to find strength and a way forward.
Quotes For Hope
Hope Quotes For Never Giving Up
1. “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.” — Desmond Tutu
2. “What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” — Jane Goodall
3. “Be humble to those who praise you, pleasant to those who honour you, kind to those who cherish you, good to those who love you, and generous to those who adore you.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
4. “In joined hands there is still some token of hope, in the clinched fist none.” – Victor Hugo
5. “Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.” — Bernice Johnson Reagon
6. “All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed – only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.” – Nikola Tesla
7. “Listen to the mustn’ts, child. Listen to the don’ts. Listen to the shouldn’ts, the impossibles, the won’ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me … Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” — Shel Silverstein
8. “Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” – Seneca
9. “Knowing when to forgive yourself and correct yourself is a blessing.” – Angel Moreira
10. “We must be willing to let go of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” – Joseph Campbell
11. “It is impossible to live without failing at something unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default.” — J.K. Rowling
12. “Behind every adversity is an opportunity. If you lament over the adversity, you will miss the opportunity.” – Ajaero Tony Martins
13. “Hope is that thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us if we have the courage to reach for it and to work for it and to fight for it.” — Barack Obama
14. “Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.” — Albert Einstein
15. “Happiness is not the absence of problems, it’s the ability to deal with them.” ― Steve Maraboli
16. “Make improvements, not excuses. Seek respect, not attention.” – Roy T. Bennett
17. “The very least you can do in your life is figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under its roof.” — Barbara Kingsolver
18. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” — Mark Twain
19. “It’s clearly easier to get the snake out of the sack than it is to shove it back.” – Mary Morris
20. “You make mistakes. Mistakes don’t make you.” – Maxwell Maltz
21. “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” — Maya Angelou
22. “If you can dream it, you can do it.” – Walt Disney
23. “Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.” — Les Brown
24. “Remember, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.” — Stephen King
25. “When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you…never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” — Harriet Beecher Stowe
26. “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.” — Maya Angelou
27. “What we fear doing most is usually what we most need to do.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
28. “We are products of our past, but we don’t have to be prisoners of it.” — Rick Warren
29. “We need never be hopeless because we can never be irreparably broken.” — Albert Einstein
30. “A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them.” – John C. Maxwell
31. “Be patient with yourself. You are growing stronger every day. The weight of the world will become lighter…and you will begin to shine brighter. Don’t give up.” — Robert Tew
32. “Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong.” — William Thackeray
33. “We must accept finite disappointment but never lose infinite hope.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
34. “Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experiences that reveal the human spirit.” — E.E. Cummings
35. “Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still.” — Chinese Proverb
36. “I don’t think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains.” — Anne Frank
37. “The difference between hope and despair is a different way of telling stories from the same facts.” — Alain de Botton
38. “Recognizing that you are not where you want to be is a starting point to begin changing your life.” — Deborah Day
39. “Hope never abandons you, you abandon it.” — George Weinberg
40. “Beginning today, set an intention and a relentless focus on living your life as the greatest person you can be, in all situations.” — Brendon Burchard
41. “You can waste your lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them.” — Shonda Rhimes
42. “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” — Dale Carnegie
43. “The only journey is the journey within.” — Rainer Maria Rilke
44. “All kids need is a little help, a little hope and somebody who believes in them.” – Magic Johnson
45. “Growth is actually contagious, so if you want to reach your goals, you’ve got to get around people who are going in the same direction you want to be going, and you will catch the success.” — Dr Henry Cloud
46. “The sun always comes up. Spring always comes after winter. The river always reaches the ocean. Always.” — Maxime Lagacé
RELATED: 110 Powerful Quotes To Heal Trauma
47. “We should not judge people by their peak of excellence, but by the distance, they have travelled from the point where they started.” — Henry Ward Beecher
48. “The dreaming has to be backed up by the doing.” — Carrie Wilkerson
49. “When you stop hoping you start settling.” — Valorie Burton
50. “If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always be where you’ve always been.” — T.D. Jakes
51. “Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.” — Bruce Lee
52. “It’s not the mistake that matters, it’s how you interpret the lesson.” – Michelle C. Ustaszeski
53. ”It’s always something, to know you’ve done the most you could. But, don’t leave off hoping, or it’s of no use doing anything. Hope, hope to the last.” – Charles Dickens
54. “The health of your brain is much more about your actions than your age.” — Dr Daniel Amen
55. “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
56. “Why let go of yesterday? Because yesterday has already let go of you.” – Steve Maraboli
57. “What we think, we become.” — Buddha
58. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” – Robert Frost
59. “Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.” — Napoleon Hill
60. “I do not think there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcomes almost everything, even nature.” — John D. Rockefeller
61. “Hope lies in dreams, in imagination, and in the courage of those who dare to make dreams into reality.” — Jonas Salk
62. “A good heart is better than all the heads in the world.” — Edward Bulwer-Lytton
63. “All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.” — Winston Churchill
64. “Anything in life worth having is worth working for.” — Andrew Carnegie
65. “Ability may take you to the top, but it takes character to stay there.” — William Blake
66. “The past is a source of knowledge, and the future is a source of hope. Love of the past implies faith in the future.” — Stephen Ambrose
67. “Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.” — Bruce Lee
68. “Few things in the world are more powerful than a positive push. A smile. A world of optimism and hope. A “you can do it” when things are tough.” — Richard M. DeVos
69. “We must vote for hope, vote for life, vote for a brighter future for all of our loved ones.” – Ed Markey
70. “Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there’s no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.” –Laini Taylor
71. “May you live all the days of your life.” — Jonathan Swift
72. “After all, all knowledge simply means self-knowledge.” — Bruce Lee
73. “Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don’t give up.” – Anne Lamott
74. “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” — Helen Keller
75. “Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all.” – Emily Dickinson
76. “Plant seeds of happiness, hope, success, and love; it will all come back to you in abundance. This is the law of nature.” –Steve Maraboli
77. “The fact is, that to do anything in the world worth doing, we must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger, but jump in and scramble through as well as we can.” — Robert Cushing
78. “Love without hope will not survive, love without faith changes nothing. Love gives power to hope and faith.” – Toba Beta
79. “The past is a place of reference, not a place of residence; the past is a place of learning, not a place of living.” ― Roy T. Bennett
80. “Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Hope Quotes To Overcome Tough Times
81. “Our human compassion binds us one to the other – not in pity or patronizingly, but as human beings who have learnt how to turn our common suffering into hope for the future.” – Nelson Mandela
82. “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” – Maya Angelou
83. “When you’re at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on.” – Theodore Roosevelt
84. “Let your hopes, not your hurts, shape your future.” – Robert H. Schuller
85. “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
86. “Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers.” – Robert Green Ingersoll
87. “I wake up every morning believing today is going to be better than yesterday.” – Will Smith
88. “We have always held to the hope, the belief, the conviction that there is a better life, a better world, beyond the horizon.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
89. “Hope is a waking dream.” – Aristotle
90. “A positive statement propels hope toward a better future, it builds up your faith and that of others, and it promotes change.” – Jan Dargatz
91. “Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird, that cannot fly.” – Langston Hughes
92. “They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for.” – Tom Bodett
93. “There was never a night or a problem that could defeat sunrise or hope.” — Bernard Williams
94. “Hope fills the holes of my frustration in my heart.” – Emanuel Cleaver
95. “It is wise to keep in mind that neither success nor failure is ever final.” — Roger Babson
96. “I’ve always had the good sense to know that however bad things were, they wouldn’t remain so. Everything passes if you learn to hold things lightly.” – Oprah Winfrey
97. “In fact, hope is best gained after defeat and failure, because then inner strength and toughness is produced.” – Fritz Knapp
98. “The miserable have no other medicine but only hope.” – William Shakespeare
99. “What gives me hope in these tenuous times is the knowledge that there is precedent for change and there’s precedent for hope. Hope has bred change again and again.” – Ava DuVernay
100. “You only struggle because you’re ready to grow but aren’t willing to let go.”– Drew Gerald
101. “Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life’s coming attractions.” — Albert Einstein
102. “You may not always have a comfortable life, and you will not always be able to solve all of the world’s problems at once, but don’t ever underestimate the importance you can have. Because history has shown us that courage can be contagious, and hope can take on a life of its own.” – Michelle Obama
103. “H.O.P.E. – Hold On Pain Ends” – Anonymous
104. “Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering ‘it will be happier…’” – Alfred Tennyson
105. “No matter where you are on your journey, that’s exactly where you need to be. The next road is always ahead.” – Oprah
106. “Our greatest battles are that with our own minds.” — Jameson Fran
107. “To live without hope is to cease to live.” – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
108. “When you feel like hope is gone, look inside you and be strong and you’ll finally see the truth—that a hero lies in you.” – Mariah Carey
109. “Hope is holding on to the promises of God.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
110. “This is the rule of the universe, this is the one thing in life I know to be true. No matter how awful and long your journey, I can promise you the turn. One day it will lift.” – Chanel Miller
111. “The lesson is not how strong we may have been in the past; it is about how strong we are right now. This is our unmeasured strength. This is the power we have inside us, to persevere and prevail.” – Lauren Manning
112. “Carve a tunnel of hope through the dark mountain of disappointment.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
113. “Where there are bees there are flowers, and wherever there are flowers there is new life and hope.” – Christy Lefteri
114. “Hope has wings that make it fly.” – Richard Mwebesa
115. “Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.” – Seneca
116. “We promise according to our hopes and perform according to our fears.” – François de la Rochefoucauld
117. “He who has health, has hope; and he who has hope has everything.” – Thomas Carlyle
118. “A leader is a dealer in hope.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
119. “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” – Albert Einstein
120. “Hope is one of the principal springs that keep mankind in motion.” – Thomas Fuller
121. “As long as we have hope, we have direction, the energy to move, and the map to move by.” – Lao Tzu
122. “Hope itself is like a star—not to be seen in the sunshine of prosperity, and only to be discovered in the night of adversity.” –Charles Haddon Spurgeon
123. “Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.” – Martin Luther King
124. “Hope is the companion of power, and mother of success; for who so hopes strongly has within him the gift of miracles.” – Samuel Smiles
125. “Hope is a verb with its shirtsleeves rolled up.” – David Orr
126. “The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” – Barack Obama
127. “Letting go does not mean you stop caring. It means you stop trying to force others to.” – Mandy Hale
128. “You will face many defeats in your life, but never let yourself be defeated.” – Maya Angelou
129. “Hope is not an emotion; it’s a way of thinking or a cognitive process.” – Brené Brown
130. “Hope is a good breakfast, but it is a bad supper.” – Francis Bacon
131. “Courage is the most important of all the virtues because, without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently.” ― Maya Angelou
132. “Hope is the ocean for the river, the sun for trees and the sky for us.” – Maxime Legacé
133. “Of all ills that one endures, hope is a cheap and universal cure.” – Abraham Cowley
134. “What we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope.” – George Eliot
135. “He who has never hoped can never despair.” – George Bernard Shaw
136. “Live, then, and be happy, beloved children of my heart, and never forget, that until the day God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words, Wait and Hope.” ~ Alexandre Dumas
137. “Hang on to your hat. Hang on to your hope. And wind the clock, for tomorrow is another day.” – E.B. White
138. “We need hope, or else we cannot endure.” – Sara J. Maas
What Are Quotes And How Can They Help Us Improve Our Life?
Quotes are powerful statements that can inspire us and provide us with guidance and motivation. For me, quotes are like little nuggets of wisdom that I can carry with me throughout the day.
They can help to shift my mindset and provide me with the encouragement I need to keep going, even when things get tough.
Whether it’s a quote from a famous author, a loved one, or even myself, quotes have the ability to improve our lives by providing us with perspective and inspiration.
They can help us to reframe our thinking, challenge our limiting beliefs, and motivate us to take action towards our goals.
By incorporating quotes into our daily lives, whether it’s through journaling, meditation, or simply writing them down and carrying them with us, we can tap into the power of these inspiring messages and use them to make positive changes in our lives.
What Are Quotes For Hope And How Can They Help Us To Make A Positive Change In Our Life?
Quotes for hope are messages that inspire us to keep going, even in the face of adversity.
These quotes can provide us with the courage and motivation we need to push through difficult times and keep moving forward.
For me, quotes for hope have been instrumental in helping me to make positive changes in my life.
When I’m feeling overwhelmed or discouraged, reading a quote that speaks to me can help to shift my mindset and remind me that there is always hope for a better tomorrow.
Incorporating quotes for hope into our daily lives can help us to cultivate a sense of resilience and optimism.
Whether it’s through journaling, reading a daily quote, or simply repeating an affirmation to ourselves, these messages can help us to stay focused on our goals and maintain a positive outlook, even during challenging times.
Overall, quotes for hope are powerful tools that can help us to make positive changes in our lives by providing us with inspiration, motivation, and encouragement to keep moving forward towards our dreams and goals.
Next Steps – How To Incorporate Quotes For Hope Into Your Life
Incorporating quotes for hope into our daily lives can be a powerful tool for cultivating a positive mindset and staying motivated in the face of adversity.
Here are a few strategies that I use to incorporate quotes for hope into my life:
- Wear jewelry with inspiring quotes. I like to wear bracelets or necklaces with quotes that remind me to stay hopeful and positive throughout the day.
- Keep a quote journal. Whenever I come across a quote that inspires me, I write it down in a journal. I can then refer back to it whenever I need a little extra inspiration.
- Display quotes in your home. I like to have framed quotes displayed throughout my home. This way, whenever I see them, they serve as a reminder to stay hopeful and optimistic.
- Read a daily quote. I have a daily quote app on my phone that sends me a new quote each day. It’s a great way to start my day with a positive message.
- Repeat affirmations. I like to repeat affirmations to myself throughout the day. These are positive statements that help to shift my mindset and keep me focused on my goals.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can quotes for hope help me in my daily life?
Quotes for hope can provide you with the inspiration and motivation you need to stay positive and focused on your goals, even during difficult times.
Can I create my own quotes for hope?
Absolutely! Creating your own quotes for hope can be a powerful way to tap into your own wisdom and inspire yourself to keep going.
How often should I read or repeat quotes for hope?
It depends on what works best for you. I like to read or repeat quotes for hope several times throughout the day, but you may find that once a day is enough.
Can wearing jewelry with quotes for hope really make a difference?
Yes! For me, wearing jewelry with inspiring quotes serves as a constant reminder to stay positive and hopeful throughout the day.
- Stromatolites Meanings, Healing Properties and Uses - October 7, 2023
- Green Jade Meanings, Healing Properties and Uses - October 3, 2023
- 125 Powerful Manifesting Affirmations To Achieve Your Dreams - September 21, 2023