Have you ever found yourself stuck in a cycle of rumination, unable to let go of past hurts and move forward in your life? Whether you’re dealing with a difficult situation, or just need some motivation to let go, these quotes moving on will remind you that the future holds endless possibilities.
It’s a feeling that we all know too well, but thankfully, there are some powerful quotes out there that can help us break free from this negative cycle.
Moving on and letting go are essential parts of the human experience.
We all have to face moments of change and loss, whether it’s the end of a relationship, the loss of a loved one, or the closure of a chapter in our lives.
While these moments can be incredibly difficult, they also provide an opportunity for growth and transformation.
One of the best ways to find the strength to move on is by seeking wisdom from those who have been there before us.
Over the years, there have been countless quotes that have inspired people to let go of the past and embrace the future with open arms.
From Maya Angelou’s powerful words about the importance of forgiving those who have hurt us, to Oprah Winfrey’s encouragement to embrace change and take risks, these quotes can help us find the courage we need to move forward in life.
But it’s not just famous figures who have shared their wisdom on this topic.
Every day, people around the world are finding ways to let go of their past and create a brighter future for themselves.
Whether it’s through therapy, meditation, or simply choosing to focus on the present moment, there are so many ways to find the inner strength we need to move forward.
In this article, we’ll be exploring some of the most powerful quotes about moving on and letting go.
We’ll hear from writers, poets, and philosophers who have shared their wisdom on this timeless topic, as well as real people who have found inspiration in these words.
So if you’re feeling stuck and in need of a little guidance, read on.
These quotes may just be the inspiration you need to take that first step towards a brighter future.
Moving On Quotes To Push You Forward
1. “I think that the power is the principle. The principle of moving forward, as though you have the confidence to move forward, eventually gives you confidence when you look back and see what you’ve done.” – Robert Downey, Jr.
2. “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” – Walt Disney
3. “Accept yourself, love yourself, and keep moving forward. If you want to fly, you have to give up what weighs you down.” – Roy T. Bennett
4. “The only way to go on is to go on. To say ‘I can do this’ even when you know you can’t.” – Stephen King
5. “If you want to fly on the sky, you need to leave the earth. If you want to move forward, you need to let go the past that drags you down.” – Amit Ray
6. “We let go the present, which we have in our power, and look forward to that which depends upon chance, and so relinquish a certainty for an uncertainty.” – Seneca
7. “You will evolve past certain people. Let yourself.” – Mandy Hale
8. “Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith.” – Margaret Shepard
9. “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe
RELATED: 174 Positive Quotes To Cultivate An Optimistic Mindset
10. “You are responsible for your life. You can’t keep blaming somebody else for your dysfunction. Life is really about moving on.” – Oprah Winfrey
11. “I do a good job of staying positive and just moving on.” – Kati Taylor
12. “No matter how small the step, forward is forward.” – Mel Robbins
13. “When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.” – Alexander Graham Bell
14. “One of the happiest moments in life is when you find the courage to let go of what you cannot change.” – Anonymous
15. “By forgiving and choosing to move on, one takes the power back to morph it into positive energy.” – Eugenia Tripputi
16. “It’s better to be healthy alone than sick with someone else.” – Phil McGraw
17. “Even if you fall on your face, you’re still moving forward.” – Victor Kiam
18. “You can’t move forward if you’re still hanging on.” – Sue Fitzmaurice
19. “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” – Maria Robinson
20. “Owning your story is the bravest thing you’ll ever do..” – Brené Brown
RELATED: 133 Powerful Mental Health Self-Care Quotes To Have A Positive Mindset
21. “Man maintains his balance, poise, and sense of security only as he is moving forward.” – Maxwell Maltz
22. “If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.” – Henry Ford
23. “You are allowed to be both a masterpiece and a work in progress simultaneously.” – Sophia Bush
24. “If you’ve fallen down, today is the day you can get back up and try again.” – Amelie Chance
25. “If you bury the pain deep down it will stay with you indefinitely, but if you open yourself to it, experience it, and deal with it head-on, you’ll find it begins to move on after a while.” – Greg Behrendt
26. “Laughter, and the broader category of humor, are key elements in helping us go on with our life after a loss.” – Allen Klein
27. “A very wise man once told me that you can’t look back – you just have to put the past behind you, and find something better in your future.” – Jodi Picoult
28. “To be able to move on, one has to learn to forgive not only the person, or people, who have done one wrong but also oneself.” – Eugenia Tripputi
29. “I demolish my bridges behind me…then there is no choice but to move forward.” – Fridtjof Nansen
30. “You can’t expect to move forward if your emergency break is on.” – Angela Cecilia
31. “When you start to abandon your old beliefs or values – you may be stuck at the threshold for two or three years. Before moving on, you have to clear away your cherished beliefs.” – Dick Raymond
32. “Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” – Gordon B. Hinkley
33. “What’s the point of pointing the finger, other than to stall your own progress in moving on?” – Lisa Steadman
34. “Keep planting and sowing, living and knowing: beautiful things take time, and that is okay.” – Morgan Harper Nichols
35. “My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness.” – Maya Angelou
36. “Grudges are for those who insist that they are owed something; forgiveness, however, is for those who are substantial enough to move on.” – Criss Jami
37. “Our scars make us who we are. Wear them proudly, and move forward.” – Jane Linfoot
Moving On Quotes For Forward Thinking
38. “It is important that we forgive ourselves for making mistakes. We need to learn from our errors and move on.” – Steve Maraboli
39. “Celebrate endings – for they precede new beginnings.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
40. “Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward.” – Erika Taylor
41. “Be messy and complicated and afraid and show up anyways.” – Glennon Doyle
RELATED: 180 Beautiful Kindness Quotes To Bring Happiness To You And Help You Spread It To Others
42. “The problem is that when we speak of plan Bs, we already negate the possibility of moving on with plan A.” – Isaac Herzog
43. “Today expect something good to happen to you no matter what occurred yesterday.” – Sarah Ban Breathnach
44. “You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don’t try to forget the mistakes, but you don’t dwell on it. You don’t let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.” – Johnny Cash
45. “Look at life through the windshield, not the rear-view mirror.” – Byrd Baggett
46. “There’s no time for regrets. You’ve just got to keep moving forward.” – Mike McCready
47. “Be brave and take risks: You need to have faith in yourself. Be brave and take risks. You don’t have to have it all figured out to move forward.” – Roy T. Bennett
48. “It’s a wonderful world. You can’t go backwards. You’re always moving forward. It’s the wonderful part about life. And that’s terrific.” – Harvey Fierstein
49. “No matter how bad you want a person, if your hearts are in two different places, you’ll have to pass and move on.” – Alexandra Elle
RELATED: 110 Inspirational Humanity Quotes For Embracing Kindness
50. “I can enjoy anywhere, and I can leave it. Life is about moving on.” – Waris Dirie
51. “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.” – Steve Maraboli
52. “The only thing a person can ever really do is keep moving forward. Take that big leap forward without hesitation, without once looking back. Simply forget the past and forge toward the future.” – Alyson Noel
53. “When someone you love says goodbye you can stare long and hard at the door they closed and forget to see all the doors God has open in front of you.” – Shannon L. Alder
54. “Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.” – Lyndon B. Johnson
55. “Life moves forward. The old leaves wither, die and fall away, and the new growth extends forward into the light.” – Bryant H. McGill
56. “I think that you never fall out of love with somebody, you just let go and move on.” – Ashley Rickards
57. “What matters most is how well you walk through the fire.” – Charles Bukowski
58. “It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.” – Teddy Roosevelt
59. “I must give you this warning: your journeys will rarely ever go as you plan. You will make mistakes, and you will feel lost. Whenever that happens, look to the light and keep moving forward in faith.” – Seth Adam Smith
RELATED: 132 Motivational Glennon Doyle Quotes For Untamed Wisdom
60. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
61. “Press forward. Do not stop, do not linger in your journey, but strive for the mark set before you.” – George Whitefield
62. “Moving on doesn’t take a day, it takes lots of little steps to be able to break free of your broken self.” – Tere Arigo
63. “What surrounds us we endure better for giving it a name – and moving on.” – Emil Cioran
64. “Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on.” – Bob Newhart
Moving On Quotes For Breakup
65. “Letting go means to come to the realisation that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny.” ― Steve Maraboli
66. “Sometimes the best way to be happy is to learn to let go of things you tried hard to hold on to that are no longer good for you.” ― Faraaz Kazi
67. “There’s a difference between wanting to stay and being too afraid to let go.” ― Victoria Schwab
68. “One of the best times for figuring out who you are & what you really want out of life? Right after a break-up.” ― Mandy Hale
RELATED: 225 Encouraging Darkness Light Quotes To Help You Find Your Way
69. “No reason. They (some things) just are, and that’s all there is to it. Some things you just have to accept and move on from.” ― A.F. Harrold
70. “No one is worth wasting a gorgeous weekend over.” ― Susane Colasanti
71. “Sometimes you must let people go because their pieces no longer fit. This departure is for the betterment of your energy, your space and your precious life.” ― Melody Lee
72. “The most difficult aspect of moving on is accepting that the other person already did.” ― Faraaz Kazi
73. “Sometimes, you’re the one who strikes it lucky. Sometimes, it’s the other poor bastard who’s left with the short straw, and you just have to shut up and get on with it.” ― M.L. Stedman
74. “Sometimes we can only find our true direction when we let the wind of change carry us” ― Mimi Novic
75. “You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analysing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could’ve, would’ve happened… or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the fuck on.” ― Tupac Shakur
76. “Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.” ― Lyndon B. Johnson
77. “A very wise man once told me that you can’t look back – you just have to put the past behind you, and find something better in your future.” ― Jodi Picoult
78. “Don’t worry. Just when you think your life is over, a new storyline falls from the sky and lands right in your lap.” ― Rebekah Crane
79. “Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got.” ― Robert Brault
80. “They say heartbreak is a blessing. It helps you grow and turns you into a better, more powerful person. You become as strong as a beast.” ― Priyanka Agarwal
81. “Sometimes you hold on to what’s left, Sometimes you let go to start afresh.” ― Sanhita Baruah
82. “Keeping baggage from the past will leave no room for happiness in the future.” ― Wayne L Misner
83. “You have changed but that is okay. Life is not static, why should you be?” ― Samantha Tamburello
84. “That’s all you can do in this world, no matter how strong the current beats against you, or how heavy your burden, or how tragic your love story. You keep going.” ― Robyn Schneider
85. “Sometimes forever doesn’t happen. And that’s something we all occasionally forget.” ― Dominic Riccitello
86. “The great courageous act that we must all do, is to have the courage to step out of our history and past so that we can live our dreams.” ― Oprah Winfrey
87. “I always get to where I am going by walking away from where I have been.” — A. A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
RELATED: 278 Powerful Frederick Buechner Quotes To Start Your Spiritual Journey
88. “You will evolve past certain people. Let yourself.” ― Mandy Hale
89. “The greatest win is walking away and choosing not to engage in drama and toxic energy at all.” ― Lalah Delia
90. “Girls you’ve gotta know when it’s time to turn the page.” ― Tori Amos
91. “Sometimes in order to move the mind forward we must shift its gears out of reverse.” ― Curtis Tyrone Jones
92. “Life moves on and so should we.” ― Spencer Johnson
93. “The only real battle in life is between hanging on and letting go.” ― Shannon L. Alder
Quotes To Move On And Let Go Past
94. “One of the most courageous decisions you’ll ever make is to finally let go of what is hurting your heart and soul.” – Brigitte Nicole
95. “Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.” – Pablo Picasso
96. “Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energy moving forward together towards an answer.” – Denis Waitley
97. “In the process of letting go, you will lose many things from the past, but you will find yourself.” – Deepak Chopra
RELATED: 115 Fantastic Quotes For Journal Writing To Set You On A Path To Reflection and Self-Discovery
98. “It’s not a matter of letting go – you would if you could. Instead of “Let it go,” we should probably say “Let it be”. – John Kabat-Zinn
99. “I let it go. It’s like swimming against the current. It exhausts you. After a while, whoever you are, you just have to let go, and the river brings you home.” – Joanne Harris
100. “Some people are meant to stay put, and some people are meant to go. But running is different than going. When you’re running, you spend the whole time looking over your shoulder. To go forward, you gotta look forward.” – Gretchen Anthonyy
101. “If you can’t do anything about it then let it go. Don’t be a prisoner to things you can’t change.” – Tony Gaskins
102. “You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
103. “The only thing a person can ever really do is keep moving forward. Take that big leap forward without hesitation, without once looking back. Simply forget the past and forge toward the future.” – Alyson Noel
104. “If you can’t do anything about it then let it go. Don’t be a prisoner to things you can’t change.” – Tony Gaskins | quotes on moving forward in business quotes about moving forward and being strong
105. “It is always important to know when something has reached its end. Closing circles, shutting doors, finishing chapters, it doesn’t matter what we call it; what matters is to leave in the past those moments in life that are over.” – Paulo Coelho
106. “You need to have faith in yourself. Be brave and take risks. You don’t have to have it all figured out to move forward.” – Roy T. Bennett
RELATED: 361 Uplifting Quotes To Start The New Week On A Positive Note
107. “There are things that we never want to let go of, people we never want to leave behind. But keep in mind that letting go isn’t the end of the world, it’s the beginning of a new life.” – Unknown
108. “In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain the old pain.” – Mary Manin Morrissey
109. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” – Martin Luther King Jr
110. “You can’t start a new chapter in your life if you keep re-reading the last one.” – Suzy Kassem
111. “Have heart in the things you do. You don’t always need a second or third opinion for every last decision you make.” – Torron-Lee Dewar
112. “Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can’t buy more hours. Scientists can’t invent new minutes. And you can’t save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you’ve wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow.” – Denis Waitley
113. “Have heart in the things you do. You don’t always need a second or third opinion for every last decision you make.” – Torron-Lee Dewar
114. “We must be willing to let go of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” –Joseph Campbell
How can reading quotes about moving on and letting go be beneficial?
Reading quotes about moving on and letting go can be incredibly beneficial for several reasons.
Firstly, quotes can provide us with new perspectives and insights that we may not have considered before. When we’re stuck in a negative cycle of thoughts and emotions, it can be difficult to see things clearly.
But a powerful quote can help us step outside of ourselves and view our situation from a different angle. This can be the first step towards finding the strength and courage we need to move forward.
Secondly, quotes can provide us with inspiration and motivation. When we’re feeling down or overwhelmed, it can be easy to lose sight of our goals and aspirations.
But a well-chosen quote can remind us of the things that are truly important in life and help us stay focused on what matters most.
Finally, quotes can be incredibly comforting. When we’re going through a difficult time, it can be reassuring to know that others have been there before us and come out the other side stronger and wiser.
Reading quotes from people who have faced similar struggles can help us feel less alone and more connected to something greater than ourselves.
In addition to these benefits, reading quotes about moving on and letting go can also help us develop greater resilience and emotional intelligence.
By exposing ourselves to a variety of perspectives and insights, we can learn to navigate difficult situations more effectively and respond to challenges with greater clarity and grace.
Implementing quotes about moving on and letting go into daily life can be a powerful way to cultivate greater resilience and emotional intelligence.
Here are some ways to make this practice a part of your daily routine:
- Write them down: One simple way to incorporate quotes into your daily routine is to write them down and display them somewhere you’ll see them regularly. This could be a sticky note on your bathroom mirror, a framed quote on your desk, or even a screensaver on your phone. By seeing these quotes on a regular basis, you’ll be reminded to stay focused on your goals and keep moving forward.
- Use them as mantras: Another way to incorporate quotes about moving on and letting go into your daily routine is to use them as mantras or affirmations. Choose a quote that resonates with you and repeat it to yourself throughout the day. This can be especially helpful during times of stress or anxiety when you need to remind yourself to stay calm and centered.
- Discuss them with others: Quotes about moving on and letting go can be powerful conversation starters, and discussing them with others can help deepen your understanding of their meaning and significance. Consider sharing a quote with a friend or colleague and asking for their thoughts or insights.
- Journal about them: Writing can be a powerful tool for self-reflection and personal growth, and journaling about quotes can be a great way to deepen your understanding of their significance. Consider writing about a quote that resonates with you and exploring how it applies to your life and experiences.
- Practice gratitude: Finally, one of the most effective ways to implement quotes about moving on and letting go into your daily routine is to practice gratitude. By focusing on the things you’re thankful for in your life, you can cultivate a greater sense of resilience and emotional strength. Use quotes as a reminder to stay focused on the present moment and appreciate the beauty and wonder of life.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some of the most powerful quotes about moving on and letting go?
There are countless powerful quotes about moving on and letting go, but some of the most popular include: “The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.” by Alan Watts, “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.” by Steve Maraboli, and “Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go.” by Hermann Hesse.
Can reading quotes about moving on and letting go really help me let go of past hurts and move on?
Yes, reading quotes about moving on and letting go can be incredibly helpful for letting go of past hurts and moving forward.
Quotes can provide new perspectives, inspire us, and remind us that we’re not alone in our struggles.
By reading quotes regularly, we can begin to shift our mindset and develop greater resilience and emotional intelligence.
Is it possible to let go of everything and start fresh?
While it may not be possible to let go of everything and start fresh, it is possible to let go of the things that are holding us back and create a brighter future for ourselves.
Letting go is a process, and it may take time and effort to release ourselves from past hurts and negative patterns.
But with patience, self-compassion, and the support of others, we can create a life that is more aligned with our values and aspirations.
Continue Reading 👉: 156 Powerful Mottos To Lead A Meaningful Life
- 718 Negative Words That Begin With The Letter “R” - June 2, 2023
- 361 Negative Words That Begin With The Letter “Q” - June 1, 2023
- 620 Negative Words That Begin With The Letter “P” - May 31, 2023