Last Updated on August 16, 2023
Trauma can leave deep and lasting scars, both physical and emotional. But healing is possible, and sometimes, all it takes is a few words of encouragement to help us on our journey. Sometimes Trauma Quotes can heal you from Inside.
Quotes about healing from trauma can offer solace, inspiration and hope, reminding us that we are not alone in our struggles and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
For many of us, trauma is a part of our story. It may be something that we experienced ourselves or witnessed in someone we love.
Trauma can take many forms, from physical abuse to emotional neglect, from accidents to natural disasters, from war to illness.
Whatever the cause, the effects of trauma can be devastating, affecting our relationships, our self-esteem, our ability to trust, and our overall sense of well-being.
But despite the pain and suffering that trauma can bring, healing is possible.
With time, patience, and support, we can learn to process our emotions, face our fears, and move forward with our lives.
And sometimes, all it takes is a few words of wisdom to help us on our journey.
Quotes about healing from trauma can come from a variety of sources, from poets to philosophers, from psychologists to survivors themselves.
They can offer different perspectives on healing, reminding us of the resilience of the human spirit, the power of community, and the importance of self-compassion.
In this article, we will explore some of the most powerful and inspiring quotes about healing from trauma.
We will look at how these quotes can help us to understand our experiences, offer us hope and encouragement, and guide us on our journey towards healing.
Whether you are a survivor of trauma or someone who cares for someone who is, these quotes can serve as a source of inspiration and comfort, helping you to find your own path towards healing and wholeness.
Healing from Trauma quotes from Peter Levine’s book
1. “Although humans rarely die from trauma, if we do not resolve it, our lives can be severely diminished by its effects. Some people have even described this situation as a “living death.”― Peter A. Levine
2. “I found that, if given appropriate guidance, human beings can and do shake off the effects of overwhelming events and return to their lives using exactly the same procedures that animals use.” ― Peter A. Levine
3. “Trauma is perhaps the most avoided, ignored, belittled, denied, misunderstood, and untreated cause of human suffering.” – Peter Levine
4. “I have come to the conclusion that human beings are born with an innate capacity to triumph over trauma. I believe not only that trauma is curable, but that the healing process can be a catalyst for profound awakening—a portal opening to emotional and genuine spiritual transformation.” ― Peter A. Levine
Overcoming trauma quotes from The Body Keeps The Score by Bessel A. van der Kol
5. “Feeling out of control, survivors of trauma often begin to fear that they are damaged to the core and beyond redemption.” ― Bessel A. van der Kolk
6. “Trauma produces actual physiological changes, including a recalibration of the brain’s alarm system, an increase in stress hormone.” ― Bessel A. van der Kolk
7. “The greatest sources of our suffering are the lies we tell ourselves.” ― Bessel A. van der Kolk
8. “Being traumatized is not just an issue of being stuck in the past; it is just as much a problem of not being fully alive in the present.” ― Bessel A. van der Kolk
Past Trauma quotes about childhood
9 “I think it’s difficult to forget things that are unresolved.” ― Chris Van Allsburg
10. “Your subconscious’s goal is to recreate unresolved childhood issues and then hopefully mend them.” ― Karen Salmansohn
11. “Unresolved emotional pain is the great contagion of our time―of all time.” ― Marc Ian Barasch
12. “Unresolved dissonances between the characters and dispositions of the parents continue to reverberate in the nature of the child and make up the history of its inner sufferings.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Emotional trauma quotes for healing when the days are hard
13. “The fear of what might happen stops people but the trauma process is so beautiful and transformational. There is nothing to fear in our emotions, they will not swallow you whole – they will speak to you in profound ways.” ― Adele Theron
14. “Healing is messy!” ― Sijdah Hussain
15. “You don’t have to preserve your pain in order to prove that it was real.” ― Brittany Burgunder
16. “Hold yourself back, or heal yourself back together. You decide.” ― Brittany Burgunder
Deep traumatic quotes that remind us of the important things to remember when healing
17. “We deny, suppress, repress, and minimize our trauma to preserve our self-concept. By doing so, we set ourselves up for repeating the cycle again.” ― Kenny Weiss
18. “Commit to the healing path and trust the process.” ― Rosenna Bakari
19. “Healing trauma involves tears. The tears release our pain. The tears are part of our recovery. My friend, please let your tears flow.” ― Dana Arcuri
20. “Interpersonal neurobiology asks us to place no boundaries on where and how it might illuminate our world. It is possible that every moment has the potential to be therapeutic in some way.” ― Bonnie Badenoch
More trauma quotes to help boost your healing process
21. “Perhaps the butterfly is proof that you can go through a great deal of darkness yet become something beautiful.” – Unknown
22. “To live in the body of a survivor is to never be able to leave the scene of the crime. I cannot ignore the fact that I live here.” – Blythe Baird
23. “We repeat what we don’t repair.” –Christine Langley-Obaugh
24. “Forgiveness is giving up the hope that the past could have been any different.” ― Oprah Winfrey
25. “There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.” – Laurell K. Hamilton
26. “We don’t heal in isolation, but in community.” ― S. Kelley Harrell
27. “There is no one way to recover and heal from any trauma. Each survivor chooses their path or stumbles across it.” –Laurie Matthew
28. “If you continue to carry bricks from your past, you will end up building the same house. – Unknown”
29. “Trauma is hell on earth. Trauma resolved is a gift from the gods.” ― Peter A. Levine
30. “There is no timestamp on trauma. There isn’t a formula that you can insert yourself into to get from horror to healed. Be patient. Take up space. Let your journey be the balm.” –Dawn Serra
31. “Trauma creates change you don’t choose. Healing is about creating change you do choose.” – Michelle Rosenthal
32. “There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.” ― Laurell K. Hamilton
Insightful trauma quotes to contemplate on
33. “Someone who has experienced trauma also has gifts to offer all of us – in their depth, their knowledge of our universal vulnerability, and their experience of the power of compassion.” ― Sharon Salzberg
34. “The paradox of trauma is that it has both the power to destroy and the power to transform and resurrect.” ― Peter A. Levine
35. “Trauma is a fact of life. It does not, however, have to be a life sentence.” ― Peter A. Levine
36. “Trauma does not have to occur by abuse alone…” ― Asa Don Brown
Trauma Quotes To Help With The Recovery Journey
37. “One of the hardest things was learning I was worth recovery.” — Demi Lovato
38. “When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear.” — Mark Twain
39. “Traumatic stress can spread to anyone with whom the sufferers share their lives. Trauma begets trauma.” — Shaili Jain
40. “Wounds won’t heal the way you want them to, they heal the way they need to.” — Dele Olanubi
Insightful childhood trauma quotes
41. “Abuse is never contained to a present moment, it lingers across a person’s lifetime and has pervasive long-term ramifications.”― Lorraine Nilon
42. “I sometimes wonder what it would have been like to have a childhood that was not like mine.”― Jenny Lawson
43. “Trauma can have a masking effect.”― Asa Don Brown
44. “Traumatic experiences in early childhood may interfere with the child’s ability to securely attach.”― Asa Don Brown
45. “Some are too much brutalized by slavery to feel the humiliation of their position; but many slaves feel it most acutely, and shrink from the memory of it.” -Harriet Ann Jacobs
46. “The world he thought he knew no longer made sense to him, and he began to change.” -Nicholas Sparks
47. “I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” ~ Carl Jung
48. “It allows boys and girls to see each others worlds as in the story, Bill is traumatized to find that he cannot play football because he is a girl.” -Anne Fine
49. “Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary. The people we trust with that important talk can help us know that we are not alone.” -Fred Rogers
50. “Take avoidance to an extreme, and you have denial: a deep burial of the trauma.” -Shaili Jain
51. “In order to change, people need to become aware of their sensations and the way that their bodies interact with the world around them. Physical self-awareness is the first step in releasing the tyranny of the past.” ~ Bessel van der Kolk
52. “I’m not lazy. I’m just exhausted from fighting my way through every single day.” -Mimi Love
53. “The mental health burden of war that is placed upon civilian survivors is seldom granted the priority and resources it needs.” -Shaili Jain
54. “The paradox of trauma is that it has both the power to destroy and the power to transform and resurrect.” –Peter Levine -Anne Fine
55. “Just like there’s always time for pain, there’s always time for healing.” ~ Jennifer Brown
56. “Being able to feel safe with other people is probably the single most important aspect of mental health; safe connections are fundamental to meaningful and satisfying lives.” -Bessel van der Kolk
57. “Triggers are like little psychic explosions that crash through avoidance and bring the dissociated, avoided trauma suddenly, unexpectedly, back into consciousness.” –Carolyn Spring
58. “Mum seemed more and more often to sit gazing out of the window, oblivious to us.” -Alwyn Evans
59. “I believe our emotional traumas create triggers. Those triggers are actually a form of PTSD.” ~ Suzanne Wagner
60. “Every day begins with an act of courage and hope: getting out of bed.” ~ Mason Cooley
61. “If the wounds on her heart and the bruises on her soul were translated on her skin, you wouldn’t recognize her at all.” ~ Verona Q
62. “A great loss brings up an emotional storm that opens up a hidden reservoir of childhood pain” ~ Pete Walker
63. “Delusional pain hurts just as much as pain from actual trauma. So what if it’s all in your head?” ~ Tracy Morgan
64. “People start to heal the moment they feel heard.” ~ Cheryl Richardson
65. “People are afraid to heal because their entire identity is centered around the trauma they’ve experienced. They have no idea who they are outside of trauma and that unknown is terrifying.” ~ Ebonee Davis
66. “It is about four people, first among them Alice Kelleher, a clear stand-in for the author.” -Sally Rooney
Trauma Quotes to Recover from a Challenging Past
67. “No one ever stops to think I might have lived through experiences that have left me wary of opening myself up.” – Matt Cain
68. “Trauma doesn’t disappear when you ignore it.” – Stephanie M. Hutchins
69. “Real trauma is like a giant hunk of scar tissue that the rest of your life accommodates, grows around.” – Melissa Febos
70. “When a woman finally identifies with her sensuality rather than her trauma, she has at long last discovered the true meaning of self love.” – Lebo Grand
71. “Life is tough, so are you!” – Umme Pritam
72. “Trauma is a fact of life. It does not, however, have to be a life sentence. Not only can trauma be healed, but with appropriate guidance and support, it can be transformative.” – Peter A. Levine
73. “What we change inwardly will change outer reality.” – Plutarch
74. “Childhood trauma does not come in one single package.” – Asa Don Brown
75. “Talking openly about your mental illness is not seeking attention, it’s seeking help.” – Unknown
76. “When all you know is fight or flight, red flags, and butterflies all feel the same.” – Cindy Cherie
77. “A lot of people who have experienced trauma at the hands of people they’ve trusted take responsibility, and that is what’s toxic.” – Hannah Gadsby
78. “Instead of being ashamed of what you’ve been through, be proud of what you have overcome.” – Dr. Phil
79. “Mental anguish always results from the avoidance of legitimate suffering.” – Stefan Molyneux
80. “Trauma is personal. It does not disappear if it is not validated. When it is ignored or invalidated the silent screams continue internally heard only by the one held captive.” – Danielle Bernock
81. “If someone else’s reaction seems out of proportion to the situation, it usually means that something else was triggered.” – Dr. Lauren Fogel
82. “In many cases, people hold on so tightly to their past pains to avoid letting go of the “excuses” and the fear of having to be accountable for their life.” – Yvonne Pierre
83. “Instead of saying ‘I’m damaged, I’m broken, I have trust issues.” I say “I’m healing, I’m rediscovering myself, I’m starting over.” – Horacio Jones
84. “Deep connection is the antidote to madness.” – Stefan Molyneux
Generational Trauma Quotes
85. “The notion that we inherit and “relive” aspects of family trauma has been the subject of many books by the renowned German psychotherapist Bert Hellinger.” ― Mark Wolynn
86. “Past, present, and future are communicating between generations in ways we can scarcely comprehend.” – Michelle Van Loon
87. “After a moment, he calmed enough to see how his anger was a separate thing inside him, a dingy, surprise gift from his father.” ― Maggie Stiefvater
88. “Ignoring the pain actually deepens it. What is hidden from sight often increases in intensity.” ― Mark Wolynn
89. “We can’t untie every knot in our family’s past, but we can gain insight that may untangle patterns and answer questions about our own lives while positioning us to offer hope and insight to those in the generations that follow us.” – Michelle Van Loon
90. “What I failed to realize at the time is that when we try to resist feeling something painful, we often protract the very pain we’re trying to avoid.” ― Mark Wolynn
91. “Poverty has long arms that reach through generations of people, leaving telltale bruise marks on its victims even after they are blessed enough to get out.” ― Julia K. Dinsmore
92. “Sleeping inside each of them were fragments of traumas too great to be resolved in one generation.” ― Mark Wolynn
93. “Your pain didn’t start with you, but it can end with you.” ― Stephanie M. Hutchins
94. “Just as a doctor will take a cursory family medical history on an intake visit with a new patient, so our own personal assessment of our family’s genetic history should include generational patterns of physical disease, mental health struggle, and addiction.” – Michelle Van Loon
95. “Experiences of trauma can cause epigenetic change as well. Trauma itself isn’t being replicated, but a measurable and heightened sensitivity to certain triggers can be passed on to future generations.” – Michelle Van Loon
Betrayal Trauma Quotes
96. “Betrayal leaves us at a fork in the road. We can become stuck in a bad moment forever or we can put it behind us for good. We decide our path.” – Carmen Harra
97. “Cheating is directly linked to lack of intelligence, insecurity, low self-esteem, and an overall sense of unhappiness with one’s own life.” ― Unknown
98. “The knives of betrayal and drama cut deep and hurt… but they also trim away the nonsense and reveal your true friends.” – Steve Maraboli
99. “When someone betrays you, it is a reflection of their character, not yours.” ― Unknown
100. “What is more important, that Caesar is assassinated or that he is assassinated by his intimate friends? … That,’ Frederick said, ‘is where the tragedy is.” ― M.L. Rio
101. “One of the hardest journeys you make is the one you take from the bus you were thrown under.” ― Joyce Rachelle
102. “Betrayal can be extremely painful, but it’s up to you how much that pain damages you permanently.” – Emily V. Gordon
103. “It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” – William Blake
104. “Some people are in such utter darkness that they will burn you just to see a light. Try not to take it personally.” ― Kamand Kojouri
105. “Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the single person you thought would never hurt you.” ― Unknown
106. “There is no greater blessing than a family hand that lifts you from a fall, but there is no lower curse than a family hand that strikes you when you’re down.” – Wes Fessler
107. “Betrayal was the ultimate weapon, for it left emotional destruction in its wake. And questions. Thousands of questions.” ― Allison Lane
108. “Even loss and betrayal can bring us awakening.” — Buddha
109. “I am grateful to those who have betrayed me… They thought they were just stabbing me in the back, but they were also cutting me free from their poisonous life.” – Steve Maraboli
110. “Life will knock us down, but we can choose whether or not to stand back up.” – Jackie Chan
How can reading quotes about healing from traumas be beneficial?
Reading quotes about healing from trauma can be beneficial in a number of ways. Firstly, these quotes can offer comfort and validation to those who have experienced trauma.
It can be easy to feel isolated and alone after a traumatic event, but reading quotes that acknowledge and validate our experiences can help us to feel seen and understood.
Secondly, quotes about healing from trauma can offer hope and encouragement.
Healing from trauma can be a long and difficult journey, and it’s easy to feel discouraged along the way.
But reading quotes that speak to the resilience of the human spirit and the power of healing can help us to stay motivated and focused on our goals.
Thirdly, quotes about healing from trauma can offer insight and guidance.
Trauma can be a complex and difficult thing to navigate, but quotes from survivors, therapists, and experts can offer valuable wisdom and perspective.
By reading these quotes, we can gain new insights into our own experiences and learn new strategies for coping with the aftermath of trauma.
Finally, quotes about healing from trauma can help to destigmatize mental health issues.
Trauma can have a profound impact on our mental health, but there is still a stigma attached to seeking help for psychological issues.
By reading and sharing quotes about healing from trauma, we can help to break down these barriers and encourage others to seek the help they need.
Implementing quotes about healing from trauma into daily life can be a powerful way to stay motivated, focused, and inspired on the journey towards healing.
Here are some ideas for incorporating these quotes into your daily routine:
- Create a daily affirmation: Choose a quote that speaks to you and turn it into a daily affirmation. Write it down on a sticky note or in a journal and repeat it to yourself throughout the day.
- Keep a gratitude journal: Along with quotes about healing from trauma, write down things you are grateful for each day. Focusing on the positive can help shift your mindset and keep you motivated on your healing journey.
- Share quotes with others: Share inspiring quotes about healing from trauma with friends or loved ones who are also on a healing journey. It can help to create a sense of community and support.
- Meditate on a quote: Choose a quote about healing from trauma and meditate on it for a few minutes each day. Focus on the words and let them sink in, allowing them to inspire and motivate you.
- Use quotes as a visual reminder: Print out your favorite quotes about healing from trauma and hang them in places where you will see them often, such as on your fridge, bathroom mirror, or workspace.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can quotes really help with healing from trauma?
Yes, quotes can be a helpful tool for healing from trauma.
Reading inspiring words of wisdom can provide comfort, hope, and encouragement to those who are struggling with the aftermath of a traumatic event.
Quotes can also offer insight and perspective, helping survivors to gain new insights into their experiences and learn new coping strategies.
Where can I find quotes about healing from trauma?
There are many resources available for finding quotes about healing from trauma.
A quick internet search can yield a wealth of results, and there are many books, journals, and other resources that compile inspiring quotes from survivors, therapists, and experts.
Social media platforms like Instagram and Twitter can also be a great source of daily inspiration.
How can I know which quote is right for me?
Choosing the right quote about healing from trauma is a personal decision, and it’s important to choose one that resonates with your own experiences and feelings.
Choosing the right quote about healing from trauma is a personal decision, and it’s important to choose one that resonates with your own experiences and feelings.
Continue Reading ????: 320 Monday Blessings To Start Your Week Off Right
- Stromatolites Meanings, Healing Properties and Uses - October 7, 2023
- Green Jade Meanings, Healing Properties and Uses - October 3, 2023
- 125 Powerful Manifesting Affirmations To Achieve Your Dreams - September 21, 2023